Crabtree VO-ELCB - retain as isolator?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happysteve

Reaction score
Assuming the property sale goes ahead as planned, I'll have the pleasure of rewiring a lovely riverside wooden chalet on the Broads. The current installation is a little - shall we say, dated?

P1050251 copy.JPG

The TT installation has an up-front Crabtree VO-ELCB:

P1050243 copy.JPG

Assuming it works as a switch, I was thinking of retaining this as an isolator, whilst I change the board, and leaving it in situ afterwards. I'm aware it has a 60A O/L (assuming it works!), which I'm relaxed about. I've seen John Ward's web page and video where he takes one of these apart - they seem well made. I will disconnect the two earth connections - I will probably use an SBS board, with compact DP RCBOs for fault and additional protection. The old coin-operated meter is going.

I'm just after opinions really on a scale of, "Yeah, that'll easily outlast any REC2S isolator," to "Oh heavens, no, it'll fall to bits as soon as you try to use it, best get rid."

Cheers :)

Just disconnect the earth reference an it'll be fine as an isolator. They're built like tanks.

Might want to put a little sticker note next to it as it may catch other electricians out at a later date.

Thanks Andy, Rob and Tony.

Labelling up is a good idea - perhaps covering over the text that says, "Test this protective switch often by pressing the yellow button. If it does not switch off inform your electrical contractor." A label advising that the earth leakage protective nature of the device has been disabled and that it is an isolator (with overload) only, sounds like a good plan, to avoid any unnecessary concern in the future.

Thanks Andy, Rob and Tony.

Labelling up is a good idea - perhaps covering over the text that says, "Test this protective switch often by pressing the yellow button. If it does not switch off inform your electrical contractor." A label advising that the earth leakage protective nature of the device has been disabled and that it is an isolator (with overload) only, sounds like a good plan, to avoid any unnecessary concern in the future.

There is no O/L, it will just be an isolator.

just like an RCD, the rating is only its rated capacity that it can safely handle, its go nothing in it to detect overload
Thanks, yes, I agree. I hadn't noticed that the version installed was different from the one John Ward took apart.

crabtree_elcb_yellow_button_top_terminals_T.jpg.f89484f2781c125c84816f38a6ac0821.jpg

Perhaps Crabtree did two versions - one with overload, one without? I suspect I wasn't even born when they did so ;)

dont think ive seen any with O/L marked on them, does it say anything else on the side about it?
The one in the property for sale, the only photo I have is the one I posted at the top of this thread so I don't know I'm afraid. I won't be going back for a while (even assuming the sale goes ahead).

The photo of the one with the overload on, is from the web page by John Ward, linked above the photo.

Edit (more info): there's an embedded youtube video on the link web page where he takes it apart, it's quite interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps Crabtree did two versions - one with overload, one without? I suspect I wasn't even born when they did so ;)

They did and I’d clean forgotten about them. They were either E/L or O/L units not both. We used 15A O/L units for control circuits. The three 4BA threaded bushings are for panel mounting. Yours is an E/L unit.

Crabtree VOEF.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: