Spot the fault™

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phases on incoming side of fuses don't match those on the load side.

That's ok though, as one of the fuses is 180 degree out of phase, thus cancelling out the error ;)

yep, the incoming is bolted to the busbar about 20mtr away at 200a, 2.5 & 2.5 (now all 200), along with the armour cut back so its not earthed either

its plastic conduit, but yes, thats a gland on the end

Not quite, I know who did the job. He’s now a christian missionary in South Africa. Why he used a 800A fused-switch I don’t know, he was always so meticulous in his work. A bit of copper bar and the switch could have been rated at 100A.

In a different situation I deliberately did far worse. Copper links instead of 500A fuses trying to find a fault on a PILC-SWA cable. The only back up was a 1200A ACB. It found the fault, the ground erupted about 100Yds from the sub. A tree root had forced a cable joint apart.

Lucky no one was injured, or Special Branch might have been called in to get to the root of the matter, or maybe someone was injured but no one twigged and so Tony turned over a new leaf.