DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Evans Electric

What do think the biggest changes in our trade have been?

Onoff
1 hour ago, ProDave said:

We used to know those as "Skid sheets"

At school we would be sent to the loos if we ran out of tracing paper. Never did us any harm.....aside from the stomach bugs we probably picked up :) Probably boosted our immune systems and we were all as skinny as rakes!

Edited by Onoff

Murdoch
On 1/14/2018 at 15:35, apprentice87 said:

A few examples..

Teachers.. instead of employing more, they now have "teaching assistants" [half trained, cheaper] [soft crappy union]

Policemen instead of employing more, they now have "PCSO's" [half trained, cheaper] [soft crappy union]

Nurses instead of employing more, they now have "HCSW" [health care support worker] [half trained, cheaper] [soft crappy union]

Electricians, etc etc etc Half, no, 5% trained 5ww types, all doing away with your jobs [all thought you were above unions...]

Firemen..... Seen any 5ww east european firemen have we?? thought not.. PROPER union..

Now, who do you think got it right????

john..

So :

Teachers - no personal experience, but I would say the lack of discipline has a lot to do with the outcomes these days, plus the namby pamby liberal elite won't let the, fail ........... so our schools are producing kids who have no idea anout work ethic.........

Policemen - the PCSO's were the creation of Gordon Brown, they are employed by the Councils ........... I totally agree with you  - why not just fund more proper policmen?

Nurses - to start a career in any form of nursing now you have to be degree "cabliber"- which allowed the NHS to suppport workers AND based on the experience of the misses, the young ones get qualified, don't like doing shifts and either move into admin roles or leave the industry.....

Sparks - seeing as any Tom, Dick or Abdhul thinks they are a spare and nobody cares ............ or stops them, so we have all the trades doing sparking these days

Firemen - more interesting - their working practices have made them be be far more "active" - my neighbour used to go the "work" at the firestation for a night shift, then do his 2nd job as a decorating the very next day - these days he can't do that.

rapparee
6 hours ago, Onoff said:

Back to industry changes...

Tracing paper in the site loos anyone?

Not trying to start a smear campaign...

:innocent

What were they for

Blue Duck
38 minutes ago, rapparee said:

What were they for

Not wiping your backside, that was for sure! 

I remember that stuff... wierdly the dispensers were made by British Steel where my grandad worked.

:lol:

binky
1 hour ago, Murdoch said:

Teachers - no personal experience, but I would say the lack of discipline has a lot to do with the outcomes these days, plus the namby pamby liberal elite won't let the, fail ........... so our schools are producing kids who have no idea anout work ethic.........

Policemen - the PCSO's were the creation of Gordon Brown, they are employed by the Councils ........... I totally agree with you  - why not just fund more proper policmen?

Dicipline and work ethic is far more to do with parents - I am a liberal minded person, as I'm sure most regulars on here will know. This did not stop me raising me son with a work ethic or respect for other people and authority. He's studying maths at Uni, and has 2 part time jobs, 1 of which is a night shift, we are house hunting this week to buy a house - he's financing this himself at 20 years old. 

Police are funded from council tax - not sure if they get any central government money these days? I disagreed with PCSOs, but they have proved to be bery useful cheap coppers, walking the beat in a way proper coppers do not have time to do.

1 minute ago, Blue Duck said:

Not wiping your backside, that was for sure! 

I remember that stuff... wierdly the dispensers were made by British Steel where my grandad worked.

:lol:

Izal medicated loo roll, definetly not soft......

Doc Hudson
18 hours ago, BVK said:

if you have your own business as a sole trader I would think the minimum average charge per hour depending on what region you are in would be about £25 - £30 per hour if you are acting as the main contractor, not subbing to another electrical contractor. So if you have 6 weeks off a year you would still turn over more that £45k per year if you did 40 hours per week. Plus any material supplied. 

Whilst the general concept of what you suggest is correct, with a sole trader the hours you are charging for are not the hours you work per week. The administration time, quoting for jobs you may or may not get, time organising collecting materials, time returning faulty materials, plus the general accounts and bookkeeping. If you are only actually working 40 hours per week at your business you will be earning far less than 40 hours of chargeable time. However I would think £25 per hour is a very low figure that would be a struggle for many sole traders to earn much of a living from.

Doc H.

Murdoch

^^ hit, nail and head spring to mind.

There's a lot of unpaid hours to work, then unpaid holiday , no sick pay, no pension ........

binky

....and these need to be factored into hourly rate. I can scrape a living at £25 an hour, I need £30 an hour to make a reasonable living, otherwise I would be probably better off stacking shelves inTesco. This is based on having completely minimised my overheads, long story, but basically I have shut my previous buisness down and restarted - I figured it was easier as it allows to me to focus on the more lucrative work and not spend all day turning away small domestic jobs that I don't want anymore. I am also working on the basis that Brexit will be a disaster and the economy will be lettuced for a decade, so a 'lean an mean' business might weather the storm far better.

Evans Electric
18 hours ago, Doc Hudson said:

However I would think £25 per hour is a very low figure that would be a struggle for many sole traders to earn much of a living from.

Hhhm   As an employed electrician  his  rate would be £15. 46 / hour with no worries about quoting , etc  .  Say £484 /week   after stoppages. 

revjames

phones, trackers in vans, sat nav to find houses (if youre a house basher type) loads more forms to fill in, apprentices that know it all but know nothing.....

Bring back the 14th edition