OVEN AND HOB HARDWIRED FUSE PROTECTION

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Didymus

Reaction score
I have provided a separate supply from the consumer unit with 6mm wire protected by a 32amp rcbo for new a built in oven and hob which will be more than 2 metres apart in the kitchen. I have provided back boxes to take dual pole cut off switches above the work tops adjacent to the units they will be contained in and back boxes holding heavy duty fixed connection plates to connect supply flex to the oven and hob. The oven will be run as a spur off the eventual end of the wire supplied to the higher rated induction hob. Without allowing for diversity the induction hob can be wired to suit as little as a 13 amp draw or I can use the full potential of it's 9kw and connect it to run at a max of 20amps. The Cooker has come without any wire attached and the instructions call for a fuse of 16 amps to be provided.

This has provide me with a dilemma having purchased a couple of grid type dual pole 20amp isolating switches since these are not fused. When hard wired and connected to the circuit by a metre of heat resistant 2.5 metres 3 core flex will the oven and hob still require fusing separate from that provided by the consumer unit 32am rcbo, or is this simply to protect against a customer who may attempt to connect using a plug rather than using hard wiring as an alternative. If a fuse is required I am finding it hard to find a dual pole isolating switch rated at 16 amps and wonder if there is a make or type which will accept various sizes according to requirements. I will be sorry not to be able to use the ones I have already purchased which are already marked with the words Oven and Hob though!

Many thanks for your help.   

If it's a new install I would have done it properly. 10mm feed for big induction hob (if you turn the max power down performance is rubbish and customer will be disappointed) and 6mm feed for oven. Each with own isolator switch and apropriately rated mcb at the CU

For this oven you could get away with a 2.5 feed, but I like to install 6mm even for an oven to cover all options in the future.

To follow MI, you could fit a 16A MCB in an enclosure in the base cabinet below the hob, towards the front high up, labelled "hob", in the cable between isolation switch and hob.

Last edited by a moderator: