Insulation resistance test

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
55.74 what ohms, Mohms, mOhms, ?

And on what circuit, an 11kV motor, a lighting circuit in the house etc. etc.

What test equipment do you have?

Just info required?

There Is NO simple yes or no answer to your question without fully evaluating the circumstances you are testing. e.g. What type of installation, brand new rewire or a periodic inspection on a 40+ year old installation. Where are your readings taken i.e. between which conductors? and what are the readings between the other conductors and what regulations do you think are applicable to deciding what is a satisfactory reading. Different answers to some of the above would result in either a satisfactory or unsatisfactory evaluation of your results.

Doc H. 

Last edited by a moderator:
To expand a bit further, if I were to ask is £7500.00 a good price for a second hand car? Without far more detail about the make model age service history etc, the monetary value is meaningless. As with 99% of electrical testing, just pressing a button and reading a figure on a display is a meaningless exercise without taking into account the environment, the age, the point on a circuit with reference to another point, the purpose of your testing etc.  If you can fill us in a bit more about the what, where & why of your tests, we can probably guide you a bit easier.

Doc H   

The values L to N is 2000

The value L to E is 2000

L to N is 55.74

the installation is the old wiring red and black

if those figures are Ohms, then I suspect you have something connected to the circuit such as an appliance giving false reading L-N.  We generally fail any circuit showing less than 2 Meg Ohms (ie 2 million Ohms), or investigate for a fault.

Couple of questions for you:-

1/ Are you testing becuase of a fault?

2/ do you have an electrical background? (don't worry if you haven't, but please be honest and upfront with us, electricity is firkin dangerous stuff, we don't want to giving you advice that could lead to your untimely death or injury).

Sorry about values given

it’s the N to E that’s 55.74 megohms

wondering if the cables r ok or need replacing

Thanks Dave , I’ve only done electrical work along side fitting kitchens etc, just trying to get up to speed with testing,  ive not tested older 

cables before only on new cables in a training center. I want to stop doing the joinery and start doing electrical full time. Something I should have done years ago. 

Latest posts