Installation of Hive thermostat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelay

Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated, I’ve replaced the receiver from the existing thermostat , the back plate was the same as the hive back plate. Switched on fine , paired ok with green lights but for some reason heating does not fire up.  Any ideas what could be the issue. 

Hi Angelay, probably one, or possibly more, of the wires is in the wrong place. What is the make and model of your old wireless thermostat?

just because the backplate is the same doesnt mean the wiring terminals are the same. did you read the diagram for the old one and compare it with the new to make sure they were wired the same?

I would guess that one of the black wires is going to the old room thermostat, which is turned down. You can test this by connecting the hive to the back plate, turn heating on with hive then turn up the old stat and see if heating comes on. We would have to see how the old stat fires the boiler before advising how to disconnect it, but at least you would have ch working.

Hi Rob, 

there is is no room thermostat, which I why I’m going to the hive to try and give the boiler a rest as once it goes on it doesn’t stop until the time in it switches off. 

Ive put the program thermostat old one back on and boiler works fine. 

Some where there here must be an issue with these wires I did awhile back put the tado thermostat and that worked fine. 

Thks 

Ah ok, where do the two cables which are in the backplate go to? please post pics of boiler, cylinder cupboard pipework and wiring centre if possible.

And make sure you have switched everything off before removing covers. Preferably also the main switch in the fuseboard.

Ah ok, where do the two cables which are in the backplate go to? please post pics of boiler, cylinder cupboard pipework and wiring centre if possible.

And make sure you have switched everything off before removing covers. Preferably also the main switch in the fuseboard.

no point taking photo's of boiler etc, if the OP would bother to do what i said the problem will be obvious.

hint, hive doesnt use 3&4... (at least not on the diagrams ive looked at)

Last edited by a moderator:
you still havent answered my question. did you read the diagram for the old one and compare it with the new to make sure they were wired the same?

you still havent answered my question. did you read the diagram for the old one and compare it with the new to make sure they were wired the same?
Hi I did but thought keeping the old plate would work bit confused on connections 1 and 2

well you are right about the old programmer, but since we dont know what new one the OP has and we have both found different diagrams... (the link you have has 2, one of which should be a direct swap, the one i found only had the single channel one with different wiring)

Sorry it won’t let me upload any images of the diagrams, I seemed to have maxed out my upload capacity!