car camera protection not dashcam

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in a cul de sac and everyone in my street turns round outside my house. My car has been hit several times, last time was a bumper scuff requiring it to be sprayed. Its just happened again. No one owns up and I just get a nasty surprise the next time I go to the car. I want to install a camera in the back window that continuously records with time and date stamp if possible. Can wire straight off the battery as thats in the back of the car (5 series touring). Any suggestions? I already have a cheap dash cam with front and rear cameras but that turns off with ignition and only records and re records over an hour.

I was thinking about something in the car but the first link got me thinking. I have made a driveway with gates for off road parking. Gates not fitted yet just plywood screwed on 4x2 providing privacy. The other problem is the numptys turn right into my entranceway and have knocked the wood down twice. Perhaps a broader CCTV install around my gates looking at the car and van as well as gates. 

dashcam with a large SD card and wired to battery should last a while. change the resolution down a bit and you should be able to get a day or 2
OK so just wire a 12v point straight from battery via an inline fuse. Not sure about setting res, might have to get a better camera. Its doing my head in. pretty sure its taxis

I would go the option of a CCTV camera, (and a dvr) but if you buy one make it prominent (and buy another and use it a s a dummy) and post notices that the area is under CCTV surveillance.

My "Nextbase" dash camera, which was about £70ish, has a shock sensor which switches it on for a minute or so on its internal battery. I know it works because it starts after closing a car door when the power is off. I recall that a slightly higher model in their range had a rear facing camera too. One of those may catch your culprit. 

someone was saying if I put a camera up that records anything in the actual street, I could be in trouble legally. People could demand to see footage etc. Freedom of information act etc. Car idea would probably be the easier to implement.

That does not apply to CCTV on Domestic premises. (Even if its look to the street)

You can install cctv on your property, but you shouldn't have it pointing at your neighbours property is my understanding of the legals.

In the OP's case I would install a camera and point it at the car / road......... too many scumbags around these days

someone was saying if I put a camera up that records anything in the actual street, I could be in trouble legally. People could demand to see footage etc. Freedom of information act etc. Car idea would probably be the easier to implement.
Well you would be able to tell them that it wouldn't have recorded anything if they hadn't bashed your car, and thank them for making themselves known to you.