Hi everyone..

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Saunders

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm not a sparky but would consider myself a competent DIYer. 

I've tackled most tasks you can do in a house during the course of renovation. 

With my latest project being to convert a former residential home into a domestic dwelling I maybe on here quite  a bit :)

Hi - actually it's not bad considering it's been empty for years. Did a full EICR (unofficial since I'm not a qualified sparky but I'll get a 'real' one done when I've fixed the issues) and only found a couple of high-resistance ring finals which turned out to be loose terminals in sockets. Considering there are 32 single phase circuits and 15 three phase I was surprised at how problem free it actually was. 

. Did a full EICR (unofficial since I'm not a qualified sparky but I'll get a 'real' one done when I've fixed the issues)

What is and "unofficial" EICR? what did you actually do? If you did a full EICR, have you got copies of the report that you wrote your results onto? If yes, why not post a copy of your readings on the forum so a few of our members can cast an expert eye over what you have actually done. Then they may be able to either confirm your findings or highlight any problems you have missed.  If on the other hand you haven't done a full EICR or written results down on any standard forms then, it's not really that helpful suggesting that you have done an EICR. You will find that you get the best results out of the forum if you are open honest and clear about what has or hasn't been done regarding a problem you are asking about.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, doc 

It's unofficial because as I said I'm not qualified to certify the installation. 

Perhaps what I should have said was I tested all the building circuits and yes I did fill in a EICR test results form - 6 of them in fact. I used these forms because it's neater than writing it all out from scratch. I did resistance,  polarity, and insulation tests on all circuits that I could identify, and identified exactly what was connected to each circuit (which isn't obvious from either the circuit labels or the layout of the building. 

I did this mainly to satisfy myself that I wasn't going to get zapped by the washing machine when I plugged it in, and that it wasn't likely to cause a fire - hence I concentrated on the resistance and continuity tests as I had reason to believe that the rings may not have been continuous (as it turned out they were - albeit with loose connections) 

I didn't do a ze test as I don't have a suitable tester. 

In order to comply with the building warrant I will have to have a proper test done anyway. 

I'll post images of the forms when I get back to my office - tbh I didn't think professionals would be interested in my amateur efforts  :)

Thanks for your input

Latest posts