Hey people

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palandrone

Reaction score
Complete noobie here looking for an electronic device. Please could someone assist me in understanding what could omit a sound frequency between 22 decibels and 23, I have used a sound analyser due to thinking it was tinnitus. How ever the sound analyser shows up a distinctive frequency of 22 decibels at a consistent level. How do I locate the direct source of this frequency?

Decibels in not a measure of frequency. Frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz) or cycles per second. Decibels is a logarithmic measure of sound level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertz

At the moment you are asking a question about two different units of measure.  Rather like me asking you what size shoe will fit me if I want brown lace-up rather than black slip-ons.  I think we need a bit more information to clarify. 

Doc H.  

Hello thank you for correcting me, so I hear this dog whistle like sound when I am in the house I live in. I have got a spectrograph and a sound meter an the spectrograph it shows the sound at 70hz and on the sound meter it shows it at 22decibel 

Have you tried switching off the mains and seeing if it disappears? Then turning on each circuit until it reappears.

Yeah I have tried switching off all the mains and even gone so far as to take the battery out of the alarm, and checking the central heating but still to no avail. I'm running out of ideas in all honesty, and don't want to be that loon going around to every neighbours house asking them to turn off the mains. Is there a specific method I could use to pin point this, I'm just glad I could use to sound measure and spectrograph to prove it's a real noise. I assume it will not only effect me though as it must also be annoying any younger ears near by also.

70 Hz is quite a low frequency, nothing like a "dog whistle" which will be many Khz

If it is really a low frequency you are hearing, google "Bristol Hum" or have a read of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum

For the record, I can sometimes hear "the hum" and it can occur in a remote building without electricity, e.g. a mountain bothy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the hum would link to tinnitus or potentialy the atomic clock and the constant GPS signal sent around the earth that operates on a very specific frequency. My only concern is that this noise is very real as the sound equipment picks it up, so I found comfort in the fact that I am not mad.

Rob, I am going to check the water mains like you suggested, if you are the person I think you are you are...

Nice spelling ;), OK alarm checked, boiler checked, under sink checked, looking for water mains. I feel like I am playing a game, called how to involuntary learn how to fix any problem in a house. xxc

Nice spelling ;), OK alarm checked, boiler checked, under sink checked, looking for water mains. I feel like I am playing a game, called how to involuntary learn how to fix any problem in a house. xxc
If you have a water meter fitted out on the street that is the best place to turn off the water. There should be a key in there.

Rob it is to no avail good sir, after trying the water mains from under the sink and cleaning up a puddle of water (how did you know).

It's a constant noise and I have also blead the radiators. From research I could suggest electronic harassment?

All parts of the house now checked, went out walking only to discover the same sound there also and it was more or less silent due to its remoteness. Got out the sound meter and spectrograph and got the same results. Would it seem it could be our local version of the hum? Again it was around 22 db and 70 frequency, this is very bizarre to me in all honesty.