Memlite Lamp restoration

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost done just waiting for the switch to arrive from eBay...I did a trial today without the switch and all worked ok, so hopefully if the switch I've ordered is correct all should be ok......hopefully! 

OK switch arrived, it's a 15A 250V simple ON/OFF switch, here's how I wired it...earth from 3 core earthed to the cast steel switch box, the neutral wire is connected to the neutral on the 2 core that goes up the lamp arm into the plastic/bakelite? Lamp holder...the live from the 3 core goes into the switch and thenot 2 core runs from the other side,   is a block connector sufficient to join the neutral wire together between 2 and 3 core,  I guess the 'block  connector ' and switch connections would be best insulated? ...will the switch require earthing? currently it is screwed through a wooden 'plate' though the ON/OFF plate bears directly on your the cleaned underside of the steel switch cover, also the securing nuts bear directly onto the cleaned to steel cutout in the switch plate.

20180131_145917-1-1-1-1.jpg

Sorry Mr P to point out some issues with the wiring but just trying to be constructive so please don't take this the wrong way.

Far too much bare conductors on show, so the insulation should be closer to the connection.

Crimps a decent crimper, and knowledge on how to use them might be a good investment as it will give a lot more security to the connections if done correctly.

A Wago lever connector will be much neater on that neutral link, would also do away with any exposed copper work.

There is whiskers on your connections, you need to strip and twist and connect the copper work a bit more carefully.

Not sure how the switch is mounted so can't comment there. A bit of shrouding over the connections would be advisable.

Where the cable comes through the gland it should have the outer flex pvc on show looks like it has been stripped back too far.

Writing this while doing other things so I am a bit distracted, so apologies if I have missed things, I do like the fact you are bringing life back to old kit, and well done on coming on here to seek advice.

No its fine, yes re whiskers I put it together quickly for a photo, I don't like the block conector neither tbh, the 3 core that comes in through the gland has insulation right to the end the flex (it goes back for roughly an inch) the insulation is built up to stop the flex pulling back through the gland rubber (grommet)as there is no way of securing it otherwise, it goes through the grommet tightly within the fitting but the flex still slips if pulled hence the insulation build up , with the build up it is very secure ditto on the end of the two core as it enters down from out of the arm...no idea what a Wago lever connector is but I'll have a look, other than that does the actual wiring look correct - it works perfectly fine I was just concerned re the earthing but I think the switch is insulated anyway.

Go to screwfix website and search on 97689, and it will see it a pic of the Wago connector.

The wiring looks correct, well done.

In fact if you PM me your address I will send you a couple of Wago's for free, since I gave you a hard time on your wiring 😀

Last edited by a moderator:
 I've had a look and they're a nifty thing for sure, no issues relating your advice that's what I joined for to improve my knowledge....it's a pity the original switch was missing as it looked quite a nice early bakelite type thing a bit like the old household stick type light switches, still I think this one looks OK too....I can see now I'll be doing more lamp restorations, they'll be breeding all over the house!

Not sure as I am not looking physically at the light, but would fitting a plate over the slot where the old switch was be more pleasing on the eye. It could be drilled for the new toggle switch with the on / off legend mounted on top the new plate.  Looks like a couple of stainless steel screws there that could be used for securing plate.

Yes I did think that too, a nice piece of 2.5mm thick aluminium would do it if I can find some,  I think for now I'll remake the connections and insulate everything then fit it all together to see how it looks, I'm no longer in engineering so getting a plate made is a little more difficult though bitd I'd have made one in 10 minutes at my work bench, I have a friend who may be able to help....

Tbh back in the day I'd have welded up the slot and screw holes and just drilled for a toggle switch! 

Made a couple of plates for you (3 actually but one is in the scrap bin as I mis remembered the sizes on the drawing). Nice way to spend a couple of hours this morning, (so much for only 10 mins😀). I like pottering in my workshop.

Did two plates as the 3mm felt a little on the thick side so I made another out of 1.5mm, both will be in envelope so you can decide which is best, couple of Wagos as well for you to play with.

Might be a day or two until I get to post office but you should have them by end of week.

IMG_0836.JPG