Some more restored lamps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On a recent new build I have nearly finished wiring

These are all lamp fittings from ships, restored by the owner of the house.  I'll bet you have never seen light fittings like this in a house before:

lights_1.jpg

lights_2.jpg

lights_3.jpg

lights_4.jpg

lights_5.jpg

I think they would look very nice controlled by a 1960s Lewden Weatherproof surface rotary switch that is like brand new inside BUT the outside needs some fettling with a wire wheel and a lick of paint. 14BA cover screw missing. Imperial threaded knockout.

BUT, I hear you scream, where could one purchase such a thing?

The question is : Why???
It's a bachelor pad for someone with a unique taste in interior design.

I haven't wired the wind speed and direction instrument yet, that too came off a ship and has two large dials, one for speed and one for direction (using a sychro resolver https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchro)

And then there's the master / slave clock system, from a school.

All light switches are retro style toggle switches, Crabtree, pigs to wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they would look very nice controlled by a 1960s Lewden Weatherproof surface rotary switch that is like brand new inside BUT the outside needs some fettling with a wire wheel and a lick of paint. 14BA cover screw missing. Imperial threaded knockout.

BUT, I hear you scream, where could one purchase such a thing?

you should be reported for advertising

No it's  modern pvc flex but covered in a coloured cloth braid to make it look old, brown for the brass lights, white for the aluminium lights.

All cable entries to the lights are stuffing glands.

The flex is wriggly and looks carp because firstly he fitted those lights 90 degrees from where they should have been so the flex could not just exit the ceiling and into the gland, it had to go round the outside, but he refused to rotate the lights (the owner did all the mechanical fixing of the lights to the ceiling) The ones in picture 2 are how they should have been.

They are all metric as far as I know, all German make from about 1980, standard ES lampholder inside now fitted with LED lamps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts