Overcharged by electrician

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazel Barrett

Reaction score
We have a rental property, for which we have a contract with British Gas for electrics. Two weeks ago, the tenant called them out to repace a faulty RCD in a fuse board. They did this, but failed to tighten the screws. The result was that the RCD blew and almost caused a fire. Distressed, our tenant called out their own electrician on a Sunday evening to make the board safe and returned the following day to fit a new RCD in the board. He has now sent us a bill for GBP 540. 

We do not consider this sum to be fair and reasonable for what was a simple job to tighten a few screws and fit a part that retails for just under £40.

We feel doubly let down. Firstly, by the electrician subcontracted through British Gas, and now by the second electrician, whom we did not call out, and were therefore unable to request quotation from before any work was carried out. 

I have since asked two other electricians to quote for the job, and their prices came in at below £100. 

What would youvonsider to be a fair and reasonable figure for an emergency call out on a Sunday evening?

posting the same thin 4 times will not get you an answer any quicker

£540 does seem a bit steep for replacing a board, especially if it didnt need to be replaced. who contacted the sparky and authorised the work? if your tenant did and they didnt get your permission then arguably its their problem. there is also doorstep selling / consumer contracts regs or whatever it is these days. google it.

posting the same thin 4 times will not get you an answer any quicker

£540 does seem a bit steep for replacing a board, especially if it didnt need to be replaced. who contacted the sparky and authorised the work? if your tenant did and they didnt get your permission then arguably its their problem. there is also doorstep selling / consumer contracts regs or whatever it is these days. google it.
Almost caused a fire, it was an emergency situation, how can you give someone a 14 day cooling off period.

He's charged two callouts and the price of an RCD, I think £540 is too expensive but £100 is s bit light.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what area are you in? 

Was this an independent electrician or one part of these upselling maintenance cowboy middle men firms? 

Have you asked for a breakdown of costs? 

Sunday evening... what time?

How Did your tennant know the RCD was faulty? 

Any pictures? we like pictures!

I assume someone did some testing?

Company I used to work for charged £66+vat for callout and 1st hr then 20% on materials would be around £200 in office hours.

:)

We have a rental property, for which we have a contract with British Gas for electrics. Two weeks ago, the tenant called them out to repace a faulty RCD in a fuse board. They did this, but failed to tighten the screws. The result was that the RCD blew and almost caused a fire. Distressed, our tenant called out their own electrician on a Sunday evening to make the board safe and returned the following day to fit a new RCD in the board. He has now sent us a bill for GBP 540. 

We do not consider this sum to be fair and reasonable for what was a simple job to tighten a few screws and fit a part that retails for just under £40.

We feel doubly let down. Firstly, by the electrician subcontracted through British Gas, and now by the second electrician, whom we did not call out, and were therefore unable to request quotation from before any work was carried out. 

I have since asked two other electricians to quote for the job, and their prices came in at below £100. 

What would youvonsider to be a fair and reasonable figure for an emergency call out on a Sunday evening?

You do not say how long he was actually on site working for. Just swapping an RCD that has nearly caught fire should involve a few safety tests and checks, not just 'screw an item in' and walk away. You say he did two visits, I am assuming this also involved a trip to a wholesaler to get the correct RCD for the make of board. We also don't know what the travel distances are between your property and the wholesaler and wherever this electrician came from. £540.00 is steep, but also any person who would do a double visit one on a Sunday and include the cost of a new RCD for under £100 should be avoided like the plague. (probably not much better than a British gas "electrician").

Assuming a couple of hours work on site, (initial investigations, then replacement and testing), plus travel time to and from site and wholesalers plus the cost of materials. And guessing at typical regional hourly rates, I would have thought £200 to £250 should be a reasonable amount certainly not over £300.

Doc H. 

You could always try claiming against British Gas, remember they have a "Local Hero," for that  :facepalm:

although, since you did not give them the chance to rectify their mistake you may be on very thin ice.

does your tenant have the right to bring in outside contractors to do work?.... and this again could be a tricky point

was there VAT within the £540? If so then £450 for a SUnday night call out ( what time?) temp rectify fault and make safe, trip to wholesalers for parts, return trip, fit part, test etc, time, fuel, materials etc.        Is not too bad

i wouldn't be going out on a Sunday night to a local job for any less than £150 and the clock starts when I set off and stops when I get back home. I have better things to do with my time so this is reflected in my chargeouts 

any paperwork issued?

any testing done?

I think the appropriate action is to politely question the bill, in writing and see what comes back.

£140 would be too high on my book.

Also did you get a certificate? 

If you did and they have a registration body, then maybe a word with them too.

Also trading standards....

£540 is a complete rip off

Ps where do you find a wholesaler open a Sunday evening?

Ps where do you find a wholesaler open a Sunday evening?

If you read the opening post, there were two visits:

called out their own electrician on a Sunday evening to make the board safe and returned the following day to fit a new RCD in the board.

Doc H

Thanks. Good advice. We did ask for a breakdown of the labour chargeonly to be told that he had charged us 3 hours at 64.00 an hour for the Sunday evening, even though he only lives 20 minutes away from the property. He then charged again for the trip on Monday, as he didn't have an RCD with him on the first visit. He even charged us £40 for an assistant. Lol

In response to an earlier thread: no, he did not provide us with any certificates. What certificate should he have provided? 

Thanks. Good advice. We did ask for a breakdown of the labour chargeonly to be told that he had charged us 3 hours at 64.00 an hour for the Sunday evening, even though he only lives 20 minutes away from the property. He then charged again for the trip on Monday, as he didn't have an RCD with him on the first visit. He even charged us £40 for an assistant. Lol
3200 for the Sunday, seems reasonable enough imo,

so, say £200 for the Sunday

+£60 for an RCD , that seems reasonable enough,

where is the other  £280 at,?

£60 for the second visit would more than seem reasonable, including testing and certs.

thats only £320

but, I suppose if you call someone out without getting an upfront quote they can charge whatever they want.