Dimplex CXL5N storage heater sounds alarm when turned on.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daveplant

Reaction score
This storage heater I believe is around 30 years old. I live in a Rented apartment. It’s mid winter and I don’t want to turn it on as it is making a loud alarm sound? I’m freezing.  It also has not been charging at night despite being on from 10pm when I go to bed to around 6am when I wake to turn it off it is not heating at all but no alarm has sounded but from tonight am alarm is sounding constant high pitched beep. Any ideas of what this means? 

Jade 

*im tired (4am) and cold (current above issue)  not sure why I felt the need to call myself dave on an electrical forum 😂

These heaters do not have any form of alarm in them.

Are you saying a noise comes from the heater as soon as you turn it on?

This heater has 2 parts, a storage heater, and a convector heater.  From you description I conclude he storage part is not working, but the convector part does work.  Sometimes you can get a sort of whining noise form the element of the convector heater.

But in any event this is a rental property so the landlord should arrange a repair, it should not be your problem.

all the best sparkies are called Dave  :^O .

So is the heater making a noise or setting a smoke detector off? If it's the smoke detector, then that is probably dust on the heating element, of it's just burn't out - 30 years old is pretty ancient. As PD said above, it's your landlords problem.