Unknown tools in our collection.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roys

Gold Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure when you get to a certain age and acquired, purchased, given tools over the years there may be one or two in your collection you have no idea what there purpose is.

This is the one in my collection I don't know what it is for, it must be for stretching or stripping something fairly small as it has to fit through that letterbox shaped slot where it engages into a cam that grips the "thing" and pulls or stretches it. The letter box is only 2mm x 10mm.

Tried a thin bit of wire in it but there is no blade that engages to strip so the wire just moved through the letter box a bit more.

The curved bit on the top fits nicely into the thumb. It is well made, no idea what the adjustment adjusts.

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

Ahhh of course,  30 odd years as a spark, and I have never used one, and I must have used a million cable ties.

Just tried it, works a treat as well😀
Seems like a lot of work, I'd sooner just use my finger and thumb

Really  ??? 
Appears to be Deke, worked a treat when I just tried it, however my tool bags and tool box's are always heavy enough and full enough so it won't be going in. Bit like wire strippers never carried them either, they only came out of the workshop when I was panel wiring and had loads of ends to make off.

Ah   I've had various wire strippers  but always stick with the sidecutters  TBH  .      I used wire strippers when we made panels up for overhead cranes ,  the cable was always flexible  , did nearly everything in 2.5  so the strippers were permanently set for that size . 

I try to keep the toolbox the minimum weight , with a load of stuff in the van , just fetch it as needed .  

Unlike a guy I used to work with many years ago ,   I could hardly lift his box off the ground ...there would be  sockets (as in  nuts & bolt sockets )  ...ratchet set ...just a load of stuff you don't need if you're putting conduit up . 

Stepps  has one in  his toolkit ..........its a spirit level   :innocent :slap  
Well, how am I supposed to know what it's for,?

I'm still waiting for that spare bubble I gave you 10quid for last year, you either forgot to put it in the box, or it fell out in the post, but I never got it, :|

The question is, was it an imperial bubble or a metric bubble that was needed. How old is the spirit level? I've heard some say you can fit a metric bubble into an imperial level but not vice-versa, personally I would not be happy using the wrong size bubble in my spirit level. Hence I always purchase levels that come with a pack of spare bubbles, just in case one bursts if I drop it! (I saw a distribution board the other day and I am convinced they used the wrong bubble or an un-calibrated plumb-bob, as it was way out of line). Anyone else seen the guidance that from August 2019 all plumb-bobs used during assessments must have twine measured by the meter not the yard and the weight must be double knot locked onto the twine. Health and safety are banning the use of single knot as an acceptable securing method. You can no longer get away with the sort of stuff Deke and Kerching got away with in their younger days, more changes yet again!

Doc H. 

Ah, @Doc Hudson

Seems I had an over zealous assessor then, as @Evans Electric said, I got my plumb bob calibrated last year and they used metric string on my imperial bob and I got a mark down on that, :(

And, I now know the issue about my missing bubble, that cheap skate Deke used old newspaper instead of bubble wrap, so it either burst , or he is running some sort of scam pretending to send out bubbles he has sold when in fact he is only sending out air,!!!!!!   :|

Does anyone else use "Widdling Sticks "   Highly technical devices  , NICEIC are running  a training course on how to use them  @ £400   for the half day day course .  

Or see below for free. 

Scan0001.jpg

Ah, @Doc Hudson

Seems I had an over zealous assessor then, as @Evans Electric said, I got my plumb bob calibrated last year and they used metric string on my imperial bob and I got a mark down on that, :(

And, I now know the issue about my missing bubble, that cheap skate Deke used old newspaper instead of bubble wrap, so it either burst , or he is running some sort of scam pretending to send out bubbles he has sold when in fact he is only sending out air,!!!!!!   :|
Yes I only supply the air that forms the bubble ,  the green water you should have already from your original level . 

What you thought was an empty envelope actually contained  Spirit level bubbles ......Would I rip off a fellow Forumite  :C     Kerching ,s had  loads off me  , its the green water he can't find . 

Thanks Deke, I’ve been searching for the technical name of those sticks, I called it a lolly pop but clearly that’s not technical enough so it was then a bellend but that was too offensive so ‘widdling sticks’ it is :)  

as for your bubbles I was once told that Brum Air is best as it’s heavier than most and gives better stability whilst suspended in the green liquid. I now know it to be true as it’s fell out of the envelope!!