Ideas for basic electrical activities I an do at home

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi 

This is my first time posting on here.

I am currently studying to be a electrcian, however my course offers very little time in the workshop. I want to brush up on my practical skills at home I have bought a load of junction boxes, different sized twin+ earth cable some luminaire holders, a large compressed plywood board and even an old consumer unit.

I've wired up a basic radial circuit and even ran a spur off of it, also done a basic ring final circuit.

My desire is to connect a battery as I want to practice using my multimeter. I'm not quite sure how powerful or what type a battery I would need though. I know how to calculate the power of each circuit, but would there be a reference in the onsite guide I could refer too?

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If your course has no practical element and you are not being shown how to use proper test gear, then I am afraid regardless of what they might have told you when you parted with your money, this course will NOT make you an electrician.

And neither will fiddling about at home with batteries and a mulitmeter.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hi 

This is my first time posting on here.

I am currently studying to be a electrcian, however my course offers very little time in the workshop. I want to brush up on my practical skills at home I have bought a load of junction boxes, different sized twin+ earth cable some luminaire holders, a large compressed plywood board and even an old consumer unit.

I've wired up a basic radial circuit and even ran a spur off of it, also done a basic ring final circuit.

My desire is to connect a battery as I want to practice using my multimeter. I'm not quite sure how powerful or what type a battery I would need though. I know how to calculate the power of each circuit, but would there be a reference in the onsite guide I could refer too?

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
You could utilise what you have put together and do some dead tests for a bit of practice. Add some resistors to your ring circuit, put one in series on each conductor on the circuit, power resistors will be better because you could insulation resistance test the circuit and eventually move onto live testing. When you have put the resistors in ( I suggest 1ohm) you will be able to take accurate readings, follow GN3 and complete the 3 step test and see if your results compare with it. You should have 1ohm end to end and 0.50 ohm on steps 2 and 3 at each socket outlet, see if you can work out why.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your course has no practical element and you are not being shown how to use proper test gear, then I am afraid regardless of what they might have told you when you parted with your money, this course will NOT make you an electrician.

And neither will fiddling about at home with batteries and a mulitmeter.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Correct