ConFused. Mystery light problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhineWino Fastey

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone can help me work this out.

While changing a dimmer switch in a bedroom I had fuse for the lights turned off. Turning it back on the bedroom lights are working fine but the lights in the kitchen have stopped. I changed a bulb to be sure but it's not that. The kitchen has 2 switches on one plate that control 4 down lights on the ceiling and a few under the cupboards. I have no idea where to start. All the other lights are working in the flat.

Any help much appreciated.

Here's the fuse box if that's of any help: http://tinypic.com/r/x2mgqs/9

Do the kitchen lights work when the bedroom light is on?

How many wires were connected to the switch? if there were any pairs, are you SURE the same ones are still paired?

Picture of the inside of the switch you changed would be more useful.

You do know the sockets are turned off on your CU do the lights work if you turn that back on?

Hi Dave,

No, the kitchen lights don't work when the bedroom lights are on (or off). Not sure if it's relevant but there is a hall and bathroom between the bedroom and the kitchen - both of who's lights are working.

Here are some pics of the wiring inside the replaced switch:

https://ibb.co/g8vbfc

https://ibb.co/bGKDRH

Thanks for your help

Is the bedroom light controlled by two switches? e.g. another switch as well as the dimmer. As from the second photo you have the dimmer wired for two-way working at the moment. If no two-way switching I would hazard a guess you have the lamp connected to the common, live IN to one half of the two-way and live OUT to the other half.  Easiest way to check is take dimmer back off and join all three brown wire together, You bedroom light should be on and if the kitchen is supplied via this switch, that will also be working as well. If you do have two-way in the bedroom then the kitchen problem is something else.

Doc H.

The second picture is that the original switch or the new switch? 

Have you replaced the original dimmer with a new dimmer? 

Can you see any difference in connections? 

Bedroom dimmer switch.....does the bedroom light switch from any other points in the room?

if not then you have connected the dimmer switch incorrectly.  If this is the case then the most likely scenario is 2 wires in ONE terminal (C) and one wire in L1

depends how the terminals are wired. You presumably made a note of which wire wentbwhere BEFORE you took the old switch off?

NOTE.......this is pure guesswork as I am not there 

As the guys said , if  there is only ONE switch in the bedroom then two of those wires  should go together in the (c)  and the remaining wire in (1)    

You need to :-  

Switch off power .

Disconnect dimmer switch 

Connect any two wires together until the kitchen lights work .

Put those two in (c)  and the last one in (1) 

Switch power off every time you try . 

Bedroom dimmer switch.....does the bedroom light switch from any other points in the room?

if not then you have connected the dimmer switch incorrectly.  If this is the case then the most likely scenario is 2 wires in ONE terminal (C) and one wire in L1

depends how the terminals are wired. You presumably made a note of which wire wentbwhere BEFORE you took the old switch off?

NOTE.......this is pure guesswork as I am not there 
Thanks, yes this solved it. I did take note on the original switch and am I'm still a bit perplexed because there was definitely 3 wires going to 3 separate terminals... 

Was there a second switch, (as well as the dimmer that you fitted), that also works the bedroom lamp. If not, then there would never have been any use for the third terminal. Youi only use three terminals on a switch to work one lamp from two (or more) positons. Otherwise two of the original wires would have shared the same terminal, as the third terminal would have done nothing for a single switch arrangement.

Doc H.