Cable size required?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlparsons

Reaction score
Am running cable to my garage to provide power for a car charger.  The run will be threaded through holes drilled in the center of the joists under the upstairs floor such that the cable is suspended in the air between plasterboard and floorboards.  There is no insulation in there.

Would this fall under reference method C, clipped direct?  It's uninsulated but still enclosed so I'm not sure?

Ouch ..... that's going to cost.

You must have a big house if its 40m from the fuseboard to the garage!

Are you a spark?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch ..... that's going to cost.

You must have a big house if its 40m from the fuseboard to the garage!

Are you a spark?
Very long house, garage is also at the bottom of the garden so it's half T&E under floor boards and half SWA clipped to exterior brick wall.  I'm not a sparky myself but I'm laying the cable run before the charger installation company sends their sparky to do the rest.

VD fine on a 10mm at 40m for 50A,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, glad you've been able to work that out without knowing the ref method,

try your Zs on that 4mm cpc

VD fine on a 10mm at 40m for 50A,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, glad you've been able to work that out without knowing the ref method,

try your Zs on that 4mm cpc
It's fine on both reference methods b and c, one of which must be the case here.

All I'm looking for is anyone who knows which reference case should be used for cable mounted between holed joists in an uninsulated void between ceiling and floor.  From the descriptions in the literature it could be argued to fall into either.

So who is signing the design and installation aspects, of the Electrical installation certificate, that needs to be issued once the work is complete?  The signed declaration box on the certificate does carry a reasonable amount of legal liability should things go pear shaped at a later date. Their lack of interest ref installation method could be because volt drop calculations may overshadow any cable capacity (and installation method adjustments) related to the design of this new circuit. You don't say where about you are? There could be some Part-P compliance issues as well for whoever is signing the declaration boxes on the certificates. Does this garage have any lights in it as well? or just a car charger and nothing else at all?

Doc H 

So who is signing the design and installation aspects, of the Electrical installation certificate, that needs to be issued once the work is complete?  The signed declaration box on the certificate does carry a reasonable amount of legal liability should things go pear shaped at a later date. Their lack of interest ref installation method could be because volt drop calculations may overshadow any cable capacity (and installation method adjustments) related to the design of this new circuit. You don't say where about you are? There could be some Part-P compliance issues as well for whoever is signing the declaration boxes on the certificates. Does this garage have any lights in it as well? or just a car charger and nothing else at all?

Doc H 

All I'm looking for is anyone who knows which reference case should be used for cable mounted between holed joists in an uninsulated void between ceiling and floor.  From the descriptions in the literature it could be argued to fall into either B, C or E.  I'd argue B but interested in opinions!

You did open your post up with  "Cable size required JL

I've known Sparkys who know less than you  do JL  .

If you just want opinions on the  Install Reference    I'd say its either  Ref: C   or Ref; 100 .  

Ref  B is surface conduit  and Ref  E  is  Tray miraculously floating in mid air .  

You did open your post up with  "Cable size required JL

I've known Sparkys who know less than you  do JL  .

If you just want opinions on the  Install Reference    I'd say its either  Ref: C   or Ref; 100 .  

Ref  B is surface conduit  and Ref  E  is  Tray miraculously floating in mid air .  

Cracking, thanks mate.  I've now managed to get the installation company to commit to that too, so I know I'm good to crack on with 10mm on a 50A MCB.

Thanks all!