Splitting submain to multiple boards

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_k

Reaction score
I have a small business centre i look after that requires some sub metering and splitting of supplies.

One of the units is quite large and the landlord is looking to split  into separate units. It is fed single phase from main incommer, through a 100a fused isolator then 35mm swa over to the unit. The swa terminates to an adaptable box high up on the wall and splits to off to feed 2 existing consumer units in different areas of the unit. These are to be metered at current cu positions.

I need to split the supply again to feed another cu as the unit is being divided again!

So where swa splits at the moment its a large plastic adap box with henleys in it. I need a more suitable way of distributing the supply without going the route of busbar chamber which aint cheap.

(tight arse landlord!)    

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing is the boards are some distance from each other >20m.

Where the SWA splits is kind of central to the unit and the feeds to boards spider out from there

What load is required for the extra unit  ?       Is it fairly small ,    30A /40A  ?    Theres no choice other than  fusing down  or you'd have to run 35mm to the extra CU. .  You can come off the Henleys  with  short , undersized tails  if they are  unlikely to suffer a short circuit .

Tight arse landlords  are a pain , they don't care about doing stuff correctly , just making more money from their enterprise. 

What they going to do in these units then??

Why not just use a galvanised metal box?? Gland the SWA into it. We all know the box will provide earth continuity, but use some earth cable from gland to gland [via earth terminal blocks if you like] just to be sure.

In the box fit a DIN rail and a load of din rail connectors. Fit as many as you need for each phase conductor and neutral [Say you had them in "blocks" of two of each] Link the pairs of din DIN rail connectors with the appropriate jumpers. This would give you four terminals for each conductor. Stick in the terminals and off you go..

john..