Limiting inrush on LED floods

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_k

Reaction score
Ive recently installed (4x) 200w LED floods an a lamp post to cover a carpark and goods area. The lights were to be triggered by timer. I ran a din rail timer to a 25a contactor to control the lights. Believe it or not the contactor has welded shut with the inrush current. I know leds have a large startup current hence the 25a contactor. Osram were less than helpfull when asked for specs on startup current.

Was looking at this  to cure the problem-

https://uk.eaton.com/content/gb/en/products/product-catalog/lighting-controls-inrush-limiter-eaton.html

Anyone with experience of this problem?

Not experienced this problem I'm afraid .  So you have 4  X 200W LED floods switching at the same time ....I'd have done it the same way  , 25A or 30A contactor ,     your solution using the Eaton device is interesting ,   sounds like it will work . 

What is the cost of the current limiter , ? which I presume is a beefy capacitor .    

Using LED lighting is a learning curve for all of us . 

Short answer, No, but as Evans says, that Eaton link looks like an interesting solution. Do come back and tell us what you find if you do fit one.

Doc H.