Why I joined, is this the right place?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so this I me. 

I got part p and 17th qualification on a training course

I've had 2 years working on domestic under a sparky.

I've had 2 years working in commercial/shop fits with an electricial company as electriains mate.

Now working as a service engineer. 

I'm looking to get back into working as electrican (mate/improver) and now am getting offered work but could really do with advice about what I'm doing. I can do all the practically side of it just not done much paper work and well desicion making to be honest and really don't want to mess things up. Any advice would be appreciated thanks pete

Welcome to the forum. Whenever people say things like I've got part P, I still don't have much of a clue as to what qualifications they are saying they actually have. What City & Guilds certificates have you passed ? All I know is that it was back around 2005 when Part P of the building regulations was introduced. And it is one of many building regulations that include some guidance about how certain aspects of electrical work should be undertaken on new build work.  If qualifications are now considered around individual building regulations, that would beg the question should you not also have other training courses; e.g. Part M, Part B, Part L etc.  If you can elaborate a bit more detail around your useful qualifications then we may be able to help more. (The  one or two day PAT testing course which I have heard some people mention they have attained on a short course is of no relevance or use to standard electrical work)

Doc H.

What you should do is add your location to your profile - you never know, somebody on here may see your post and give you a chance .......... without a location you've no hope.
Location , Location , Location .     Would be a good start .    Welcome  by the way .  

Actually in this day & age  you have been lucky to get some practical experience  in Domestic & Commercial ...its worth it's weight in gold .  

As The Doc says ,  Part P is a section of the Building Regs  which refers to Domestic installers  being "Competent" .

You can only be declared ..."Competent" .... by a third party such as  NICEIC , ELECSA, NAPPITT  STROMA  etc.  

I believe its possible  to be  ..."Competent".... if you can produce proof of  C&Gs ,  HNC, HND ,  PHD , an honours degree in ElEC.Eng.... a Doctorate in Electro Magnetic Dynamic Propulsion & Fusion   and a Cycle Proficiency Badge. 

So drop saying  Part P ....17th ed is good ........  and the more practical you do the better ...BUT ....  ( you knew that was coming ) .....BUT .....  (there it is again ) .... you MUST attain at least the basic  level in C&Gs    .  Others will tell you what it is ,  I'm an old phart   .  That will get you at the least ,  a skilled electrician card  .    You would have to fund the course yourself  .  

Working as an Improver is good  because the old style apprenticeships  hardly exist now  .     

Is this the right place  ?   
Of course it is , there is nowhere else  to compare .  :Welcome:

Thanks for replys

Firstly I live in coleford. Commutable distance from Gloucester / Bristol / Newport.

Qualifications

EMTA - Level 2 500/4385/7

Domestic Electrical Installers,

C n G - Level 2 500/3516/2 Inspection and Testing and initial,

C n G - Level 3 500/3451/0

Electrical Installation.

Currently I service electrical level equipment TDR, radars and ultrasonic.