Downlight replacement

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Printer

Reaction score
Hi, I have 4 downlights in bathroom, can I replace one with a bathroom extractor which has an led light

Thanks

Probably - how are you going to deal with the ventilation outlet?

Personally I would fit an inline fan as the ones with integrated lights always go wrong ..................

In principle yes. Your biggest challenge will be finding somewhere to vent the hose to, which might be through the eaves, through a gable wall, or a vent tile in the roof.

The combined  fan/light jobbies    are a piece of  cheapo Chinese  junk  in my experience ,  they are the work of Beelzebub As Murdoch says , go with an inline  fan  of reasonable quality ,  presumably fitted in the loft .   NOT  one of those tiny little bullet shaped things, the size of a tin of beans  either  ....an ant can phart with more power than one of those .   

Lineo  is one we've used  , had no call backs .  

Last edited by a moderator:
John Clark said:
Electricians should not be giving installation advice to non electricians

I will just politely inform you that DIY electrical work is still perfectly legal within the UK. Your above comment is neither helpful nor constructive, In the same way that a qualified car mechanic may give advice on a motor forum to a non-mechanic about doing some DIY car maintenance, it is perfectly reasonable for an electrician to offer advice to a non electrician. This is one of the functions of the forum.

Doc H.  

I will just politely inform you that DIY electrical work is still perfectly legal within the UK. Your above comment is neither helpful nor constructive, In the same way that a qualified car mechanic may give advice on a motor forum to a non-mechanic about doing some DIY car maintenance, it is perfectly reasonable for an electrician to offer advice to a non electrician. This is one of the functions of the forum.

Doc H.  
OK point taken but some diy work like electrical, vehicle repairs, gas fitting and the type of work that if carried out unsafely could easily cause death or injury I think should only be carried out by people trained in that field and giving advise to obviously untrained people judging by their questions is not a good idea. This is the point I am trying to make. Also some domestic work carried by a non part P person and not notified to the local authorities can lead to prosecution in the courts in England and Wales 

OK point taken but some diy work like electrical, vehicle repairs, gas fitting and the type of work that if carried out unsafely could easily cause death or injury I think should only be carried out by people trained in that field and giving advise to obviously untrained people judging by their questions is not a good idea. This is the point I am trying to make. Also some domestic work carried by a non part P person and not notified to the local authorities can lead to prosecution in the courts in England and Wales 

There is no such thing as a part p person. 

Part P, is a section of the building regulations. 

You know what I mean you are clutching at straws now what about installing new circuits, electrical work out with the equipotential zone , changing consumers units will you give advice on that type of work?

You know what I mean you are clutching at straws now what about installing new circuits, electrical work out with the equipotential zone , changing consumers units will you give advice on that type of work?

I would rather people came on here asking advice than blindly stumbling about in a job. For sure it will obviously be a better / safer job if a spark did the job but as long as the likes of B&Q sell consumer units then like it or lump it the job becomes into the scope of a DIYer.

So why would we not give out helpful advice John while also constructively pointing out dangers and pitfalls? If you have a trawl through the various threads you will see many examples of good advise given to DIYers and sometimes it includes "time to get in an expert leave well alone"

I would rather people came on here asking advice than blindly stumbling about in a job. For sure it will obviously be a better / safer job if a spark did the job but as long as the likes of B&Q sell consumer units then like it or lump it the job becomes into the scope of a DIYer.

So why would we not give out helpful advice John while also constructively pointing out dangers and pitfalls? If you have a trawl through the various threads you will see many examples of good advise given to DIYers and sometimes it includes "time to get in an expert leave well alone"
OK I will leave you to it Roy carry on with the good work.

No I wouldn't, this site holds itself as providing factual and honest answers. 

Electricians masquerading as "Part P" qualified aren't doing the industry any good, they are confusing clients and new trainees wanting to start in the field. How many people have you read, "I've just paid £xxxx for a Part P qualification"

Me correcting your statement was not meant in any way to cause offence. Purely so that people outside the trade reading these (from google searches, other DIYers) get the correct information.

Whatever you think is a good idea or not is irrelevant, The fact that the forum has a DIY Q&A section should make it quite obvious that we offer guidance and advice to DIY (ergo unskilled, untrained etc persons). It is not here for DIY'ers to ask for advice off other DIY'ers!  Even work that is Part-P notifiable can be carried out by DIY'ers providing certain procedures are followed, (go and double check approved document P if you didn't know). For the record Part P building regulation has been around for over 12years, you can rest assured we have sufficient knowledgeable and experienced forum members, to comprehend the full legal obligations and requirements of this building regulation. There may well be other forums that are totally dedicated to electricians only talking to other electricians, this one is not, it covers the full broad spectrum of electrical work whatever its context. 

Doc H. 

Which isn't how the question came across.

The most important question is how it can be vented outside ............ its not as easy as a lot of people think!
This was answered in the first few posts.

I had one this week, someone wants a bathroom fan in an old cottage with 3 foot thick stone walls. My answer to him was find someone to make a 4" hole through the wall and I will connect the fan.

So a new bathroom fan is notifiable as it comes under "Any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location". This I guess assumes it's fed from the bathroom lighting circuit. 

But say you fed it from another circuit unconnected to the bathroom...non notifiable? 

I probably shouldn't drink and post! Saying that I probably shouldn't mix Metrlot and ginger beer!

:)

So a new bathroom fan is notifiable as it comes under "Any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location". This I guess assumes it's fed from the bathroom lighting circuit. 

But say you fed it from another circuit unconnected to the bathroom...non notifiable? 

I probably shouldn't drink and post! Saying that I probably shouldn't mix Metrlot and ginger beer!

:)

only if its within the zones in england

Latest posts