Anyone else had this dilema before ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Job on my own house , need to move supply /meter  from kitchen to enable forming a downstairs toilet .    

DNO guy  called  to locate where to dig for supply cable  ( Doing it myself)   .  He was a bit nonplussed that I wanted to fit a unit in the meter cupboard to connect  10mtrs  SWA sub-main ....not come across it before.      

I know that they don't want any other gear in there but their own but his boss had agreed as long as they can finish at their sealed DP isolator .   Hence I fitted one myself to make sure there will be room  when the jointers come .         There is   just enough room for cut-out & meter . 

Photo0484.jpg

best remove that plastic, highly flammable, non AMD3 compliant REC2 so the DNO can fit their own

there probably used to seeing a bit of SWA bunged straight into meter / REC2 with the earth chopped off

Well Deke me ole china, you could have saved yourself the aggravation. Apparently the dnos and Niccy/IET have agreed that a switchfuse is not required in the instance of using swa as meter feed as long as you terminate the swa correctly. 

http://www.charlesendirect.com/products/earthings-accessories.aspx

i have been fitting these on a new build site last year. Everyone is happy with it. :C  

Thats what they normally fit ......is'nt it ?     They don't bother about metal enclosures   ie:     Cut-outs  & meters  ..all likely to burst into flames  at any minute  . 

I only held that in place to see if there was room  then thought I may as well fit it as its a bit tight under flameproof , Amd3 ,  bulletproof unit  and have their REC2 off them  .

Well Deke me ole china, you could have saved yourself the aggravation. Apparently the dnos and Niccy/IET have agreed that a switchfuse is not required in the instance of using swa as meter feed as long as you terminate the swa correctly. 

i have been fitting these on a new build site last year. Everyone is happy with it. :C  
You jumped in there Sharpie .     That  device is  interesting!!     To my way of thinking , my switch would do but the guy said they have to finish  with  a switch  sealed  on their side .     Which DNO do you deal with ?  

I'm guessing the CG box is a switch fuse - so why did you bother with the isolator?

That's VERY interesting - where is this stated as facts?

Give them a call, they will confirm. I believe   I called IET tech line to confirm. 

I think it was either western power or yedl. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Give them a call, they will confirm. I believe   I called IET tech line to confirm. 

I think it was either western power or yedl. 

So that's not a blanket approval and unless its in black and white we may as well forget it. The EDF chaps around me, who are ex SEEBoard, are right little hittlers......

i cant see how that would be compliant. you would have single insulated conductors from the SWA

So that's not a blanket approval and unless its in black and white we may as well forget it. The EDF chaps around me, who are ex SEEBoard, are right little hittlers......

I was told it is agreed with all dno’s. 

i cant see how that would be compliant. you would have single insulated conductors from the SWA
That was the very reason I checked this out. 

Yeah this is Western Power , I think they'll be OK with it .  

As I said  ,  they HAVE to finish at a sealed isolator ...mine  has no sealing facility  , I just needed somewhere to make off the SWA . 

Mind you, given what Sharpend is suggesting we would still need to fit an isolator, then a metal enclosure to make off the SWA!

I still don't see why they need to seal the isolator - as the DNO fuse should have a seal on it, what would sealing the isolator achieve?

I still don't see why they need to seal the isolator - as the DNO fuse should have a seal on it, what would sealing the isolator achieve?
I had that on the last new build  ..... long run of meter tails in a bungalow , fitted a KMF  80  with tails awaiting the meter monkey .   He fitted them  but was sent back to squeeze in a DP switch  with seals.      He also left me with this piece of expert nonsense . 

Image004.jpg

@Murdoch I quite agree, but then I dont make the rules. 

I had that on the last new build  ..... long run of meter tails in a bungalow , fitted a KMF  80  with tails awaiting the meter monkey .   He fitted them  but was sent back to squeeze in a DP switch  with seals.      He also left me with this piece of expert nonsense . 

View attachment 9138
That must have been his first insulation resistance test! 

Last edited by a moderator: