Evening all from Leeds.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been away from forums for a few years but have now decided to make a come back.

I am an Electrical Engineering Assessor for NVQ3 and a Tutor for BS7671 and the new 2391 qualifications.

Welcome to the forum lets hope your comeback will benefit both yourself and our members. I always think the best forum interaction is a two-way process, where at times we post ideas, information, links, or questions that help others. Whilst other times we read posts that we learn something from, or prompt us to investigate a topic a bit deeper.

Doc H.

Hopefully, and i fully agree.

I am here to help, if anyone is in need of an insight into the new 2391 qualification, or wants some general advice about it all, then feel free to ask. I dont profess to know everything about I&T, but what i dont know i can find out.

What i wont do is compromise myself by giving out the content of the written exam, or the faults introduced for the practical assessments, but all other information is freely available to anyone who wants it.

Cheers...................H

2394 and 2395 replaced the old 2391-10 back in 2012. It followed the same format but entailed more exams, 1 multiguess and 1 each for initial and periodic, but i guess you all know that anyway.

C&G are/were losing business to EAL. EAL have always been open book, so they aligned with them. Both awarding bodies call it the 2391 now, and there are 3 options, 2391-50, initial verification, 2391-51 Periodic I&T, 2391-52 I&T that covers both. All are now open book. Irrespective of which awarding body you choose and whatever they choose to call it, the qualification has a QAN number and it is the same, so C&G and EAL are of equal value.

C&G requires 1 practical assessment, 1 visual inspection from photos, 1 online multiguess exam. 1 written exam.

EAL is the same but they dont have the written exam, and to be fair C&G's exam offers no meaningful value.

Some may say it is now easier. At face value it would appear so, but believe me it is far from easy. The short written exam, which is now marked in centre by the assessor against strict marking criteria has a pass mark of 100% and it involves giving accurate codings and quoting regs.

As is usual with C&G i dont know what the pass mark is for the online multiguess but i have seen a fail at 76%, and some the questions are complicated. There is a sample test for each on C&G website, but i have found this to be nowhere realistic compared to the real thing, it is far more difficult than the 2394/5 multiguess.

It is in no way a watered down qualification, it is more realistic in that you can find out what you cant remember in preference to doing it all from memory. I passed the old 2391, 2394 and 2395 the hard way. I have tought I&T for 7 years now and in that time i have seen some top class sparkies fail open and closed book exams. My opinion is, not being able to pass an exam does not make a bad spark, it merely means you cant pass an exam.

Cheers.....................H

So from now on people need to say if they have:

2391-50

2391-51

2391-52

Are the lunatics running the asylum?

At least with the

it wasn't open to interpretation!

Silly question...where there is pies there is gravy! 

Can I use the books from the old 2391? 
No, things have moved on and changed over the last few years. Get the latest GN3 and download the free GS38. Study them and get your head around basic electrical theories like OHMS law, and insulation resistance theory and you wont go far wrong.

So from now on people need to say if they have:

2391-50

2391-51

2391-52

Are the lunatics running the asylum?

At least with the

it wasn't open to interpretation!
Murdoch, most will opt for 2391-52 and this will be what employees ask for, and is also the must have for QS positions. The -50 and -51 will be top ups for those who have either 2394 or 2395 and need to fill the gap.