Best prepayment meter option?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
I have a customer who has some flats ...all on coin meters.

he lived in one flat BUT is now moving away and renting out his old flat, so he wants it metering.

is he better sticking with the old style coin meter...or going more modern?

i cannot see pre paid cards being any good as how does the tenant get more cards?

someone is going to have to empty the coin boxes ( he may come back to do that as he is only 2 hours away)

is there anything else else out there  you can recommend that will fit the bill?

before anyone suggests it I am not getting involved in collecting the money or being the 'card dealer', all  I will  be doing is fitting the meter and walking away

I had this problem with  a house my cousin owned , two flats , up & down.  

He would have had to purchase a load of  swipe cards  , then sell them to the tenants  as & when ....he didn't want that .

The only cards the tenant can buy  at local shops are the ones that work  for the major utilities . 

I ended up  with some half decent cash meters which I shall now try to find details of ....watch this space.   

Edit :    

I cannot find data on the ones I fitted .....typical  :C       You could try  :-

Universal meters .    or 

Westwood Meters & Timers     www.electricmeters.co.uk 

Last edited by a moderator: