How do I get a letter from an electrical company if I'm self employed?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodborne

Reaction score
Good day everyone,

I'm trying to get an ECS electrical labourer card but the new regulation is one's application needs to be supported with a letter from an electical company/contractor in order to get the card, but how does one get such letter if they're self employed? 

Thank you.

I thought I had this and many other issues renewing my ECS which I may not need now...  :(

Fortunately I was renewing and Didn't need a letter but I would just write my own, sounds like eggheads are changing the rules without thinking of the consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I had this and many other issues renewing my ECS which I may not need now...  :(

Fortunately I was renewing and Didn't need a letter but I would just write my own, sounds like eggheads are changing the rules without thinking of the consequences.
I wanted to write my own, but they emailed me saying "We require a reference on company headed paper to confirm you are working in the electrical industry. Please log back into my ecs and upload a copy of this."

I wanted to write my own, but they emailed me saying "We require a reference on company headed paper to confirm you are working in the electrical industry. Please log back into my ecs and upload a copy of this."

Have you not yet created yourself a standard letter head template on your computer for any correspondence you have with customers? Sounds to me like you need to design yourself a company logo/name to stick at the top of the page. Do you have a business bank account in your company name? and are you officially self employed i.e. notified Tax Man.

Doc H. 

Have you not yet created yourself a standard letter head template on your computer for any correspondence you have with customers? Sounds to me like you need to design yourself a company logo/name to stick at the top of the page. Do you have a business bank account in your company name? and are you officially self employed i.e. notified Tax Man.

Doc H. 

Wondered if they would actually check this and  if infact its linked to the tax man?

Only one way to find out! 

Can I ask what stage you are qualified too? You say Electrical labourers card? 

I’d have thought that if it’s a mates card then you’d be employed/working with a firm to get qualified in which case just ask them to write a customer confirmation letter? 

Doc H. 
Yes I have business bank account in my company name and I'm officially self employed.