The new 2391 qualification

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all,

I am new to this forum, and have made a few contributions, and had a good look around.

I dont want to reply to old threads so i have started a new one about the new qualification

I taught the old 2391, then the 2394 and 5, and have now started with the all new 2391, so here is an overview and some advice for anyone who is going to take the plunge.

2391-50. Initial Verification. 1 short written exam. 1 practical assessment. 1 online mulitple choice exam.

2391-51 Periodic inspection and test. 1 short written exam, 1 practical assessment in 2 parts, a visual inspection from a selection of photographs, and a full practical testing assessment with 3 faults to find. 1 online multiple choice exam.

2391-52. Combined inspection and testing. 1 short written exam, 1 practical assessment in 2 parts as per the 2391-51. 1 online multiple choice exam.

The online exam gives an instant pass/fail. I dont know what the pass mark is, but i have seen a fail at 76%. All the passes i have seen have been 91% or higher, but i haven't seen any results between 76 and 91.

Your assessor will tell you immediately upon completion of the practical tasks if you have passed or failed.

The short written exams are marked by the assessor who has to mark them against strict marking criteria , and he/she will tell you if you have passed or failed, the pass mark is 100%

All exams and assessments are open book.

Both exams require you to reference BS7671 to find some of the answers.

Suitable revision material; BS7671, GN3, OSG, GS38. An overview and familiarity with BS7671 and the OSG will be enough, but an in depth knowledge of GN3 and GS38 are a must.

Before considering the course, you must be familiar with inspection and testing, you must also have a good knowledge of  basic electrical principles, such as ohm law, resistance of cables and what can affect it.

Contrary to popular belief these open book exams are not easy and anyone who takes the course thinking it will be a walk in the park are in for a rude awakening. Comments i have had from candidates on my courses who have tried and failed at the old closed book 2391,2394 and 2395 have said things about the new version that i cannot quote on here, but they are telling me that it is far more difficult especially when they have had to reference BS761 to quote reg numbers and also needed to do a few calculations, so you have been warned.

C&G have put some sample exams on their website which are accessible to all along with marked examples so you can see how you fared, but these are a lot easier than the real thing, especially the multiple choice ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally, pass marks are not set until the paper set is marked and assessed by the chief examiner who will then decide the pass mark, there may be errors or questions that are unsuitable which no candidate has got correct, and upon review may end up zero rated for example.

Or at lest that is what I was told by one of the centre assessors/external verifiers when I was being assessed at a centre I used to work at.

Normally, pass marks are not set until the paper set is marked and assessed by the chief examiner who will then decide the pass mark, there may be errors or questions that are unsuitable which no candidate has got correct, and upon review may end up zero rated for example.

Or at lest that is what I was told by one of the centre assessors/external verifiers when I was being assessed at a centre I used to work at.
The new written exam comes as part of the candidate assessment pack which is downloaded by the centre. The Chief Examiner is no longer involved as it is now marked in centre by the assessor, the quality of this will be monitored at annual EV visit from C&G. You are right about previous exams they were moderated by the Chief Examiner in bygone days. The online exam will still be moderated i would imagine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently at college and really enjoy the testing side of things and is one of the main reasons why I decided to go down the electrician route.

but for the life of me when I see people talk about the 2391 I’m like how in the world am I going to ever pass this if I’m struggling at the moment to fill in a test certificate let along finding a fault.