Is a Radial circuit wired in parallel or series

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stringy75

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a trainee electrician.

On my course today I was told a Radial circuit is wired as a serial circuit and a ring final circuit is wired as a parallel circuit.

This makes no sense, surly they are both parallel circuits.

Can somebody please give me a sanity check and tell me I am right, a radial circuit is wired as a parallel circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe the confusion is a ring is effectively fed from both ends so power going to any individual point is in parallel (but not always perfectly balanced) where as a radial is only fed from one end

That could be the confusion. Not on my part though, on the tutors part. I challenged about 10 questions, I have them here with me. I think I was right on all 10 questions and they said I was wrong. I can't believe the tutor told the class a radial circuit is wired in series and then said i was wrong when i challenged  him. We learned about parallel and  series circuits 20 years ago when i did my GCSE's.

I can post the other questions here they said i was wrong on if anyone would like to go through any of them with me?

Hi,

I am a trainee electrician.

On my course today I was told a Radial circuit is wired as a serial circuit and a ring final circuit is wired as a parallel circuit.

This makes no sense, surly they are both parallel circuits.

Can somebody please give me a sanity check and tell me I am right, a radial circuit is wired as a parallel circuit.

Everything on an electrical installation, every load, socket, light, shower, cooker, immersion heater, garden water feature, boiler, shaver socket, extractor fan etc, etc, are wired in parallel to the incoming supply Live and Neutral. If they were not wired in parallel each accessory would not get the fully supply voltage across its input terminals. Basic ohms law: Loads in series divide the voltage, Loads in parallel divide the current.

Doc H.

Everything on an electrical installation, every load, socket, light, shower, cooker, immersion heater, garden water feature, boiler, shaver socket, extractor fan etc, etc, are wired in parallel to the incoming supply Live and Neutral. If they were not wired in parallel each accessory would not get the fully supply voltage across its input terminals. Basic ohms law: Loads in series divide the voltage, Loads in parallel divide the current.

Doc H.
Thank you

I can't believe our tutor told us there were wired in series, when i challenged him he said i was wrong.

Unbelievable

Our tutor told us this is how we should wire a radial circuit.

With that extra earth wire???????????????????

radial.jpg

that is how you wire a radial if it need high integrity earthing. normal radial doesnt have the return path and you dont need to use different terminals

543.7 if you have a copy of 7671

I think your tutor may have mean't 'in series' ie the accessories are daisy chained along a single cable? 

He said a Radial circuit is wired in series. It is not, it is wired in parallel.

I have left my notes at college, I was going to share all the other c**p  he taught us today but I don't have my notes to hand :(

He said a ring final circuit is wired in parallel.

It makes no sense to teach a ring final circuit is wired in parallel and a radial circuit is wired in series.

The terms parallel and series have specific meanings in respect to electrical wiring. It would be confusing to say a radial circuit is wired in series if he meant the accessories  are daisy chained. He simply got his terms confused and taught us wrong.