Light switch making noises.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tis a bit quiet. Turn your speakers up! 

Sounds a little like a 'tick'

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be a loose connection arcing, I wonder, without taking a look I wouldn’t know!!

oh and I love this new found diagnosis method, asking a paying customer to send a video. Brilliant, can’t think why i haven’t thought of this years ago, think of the mileage and money I’d have saved. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me more mechanical in origin. Bit of play in the switch mechanism, metallic faceplate less sound deadening than a plastic accessory.

Doc H.

Technology eh.... 

Apparently you don't have to touch the switch to make it happen. Just walking by  it can make it happen.

I suggested calling a priest as I can't get to look till friday

Well if not touching then its static discharge from potential built up in his nylon undies and carpet slippers arcing onto the nice big earthy faceplate.

Doc H.

that's certainly a weird one. Think I would try a new switch plate/ check all terminals are tight. Might be something to do with the lamps, but as said above I would be more suspect of the switch mechanism itself.

I'm over there on Friday to have a look. The switch is mounted on a solid wall with plaster board dabbed around. The floor is suspended but is rigid. From memory everything is fairly solid. On that lighting circuit there must be around 40 led gu10. Wiring is all at switch with this being last on circuit powering single led bc lamp. Switch plate is BG brushed steel and is earthed.