Told one of my jobs was non-compliant & I had ripped off my customer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
:slap ............... by a tango'd kitchen fitter  :pmsl1:  & his qualified part P electrician mate  :steptoe:

So I had a call from one of my customers today he has had some kitchen companies in to quote on fitting a new kitchen, electrical work required move a socket by 20mm & move cooker switch 130mm neither of which require any lengthening of conductors;  last night was a site visit by a local fitter who took a sharp intake of breath when he looked at the cu which I changed a few months ago....."that'll need changing as it doesn't have an RCD"

My customer coughs & splutters words to the effect of "courgette off it's brand new, here are the certs & the part P notification & the inspection label says its good for 10 years"

The fitter takes another look  "I think You've been had mate, I will send a picture to my electrician for his take on it"

So this morning my customer receives an email from the kitchen fitters pet electrician who basically slates the cu & gives a raft of Reg numbers that it contravenes.................. the seed of doubt is sown & my customer rings me just to get some clarification all is indeed well with the installation.

And to make SBS Dave happy ................... it was one of his boards containing CRCBO's they said needed changing  :^O  . reasons given :

• It didn't have discrimination between protective devices  :wacko:
  • The board looked like a foreign one so probably didn't comply with BS regulations :redcard
  • Lacked dual RCD protection. X(  
  • Only had one spare way :shakehead
  • Also said id not brought the installation up to regs as I should have done, because the two spurs (not linked both from separate sockets) under the work top should have fused spurs feeding them from above the work top  :swear:  (I only changed the cu & upped the csa of MEB's)

Anyway my customer was reassured after I got him to remember the little blue button with the embossed T, meant each of the MCB's were in fact RCBO's so negated the need for an RCD. 

A large slice of humble pie was had & he is still a customer. I asked for the fitters details as I thought his electrician might like to speak to a real sparks  :slap , however my customer wouldn't give them to me.................yet  :innocent

clearly a rip off merchant kitchen fitter, best your customer avoids like the plague.
Yes  Binky  I'd say a kitchen fitter with a little knowledge  looking for extra work  and his poorly trained sparks  who doesn't recognize a combined RCBO   ,  ... " The board looks foreign " :C    arn't all the boards foreign these days ?      

How can he just guess what BS it may or may not have ?   

This is like EICR cowboys.

I read one the other day where they had given a C2 for a lamp missing from a BC lamp holder so "exposed live parts"

Yes  Binky  I'd say a kitchen fitter with a little knowledge  looking for extra work  and his poorly trained sparks  who doesn't recognize a combined RCBO   ,  ... " The board looks foreign " :C    arn't all the boards foreign these days ?      

How can he just guess what BS it may or may not have ?   
I suspect said sparky may be builders son....

Not rocket science  is it ...looking at one of  SBS Dave's boards 

View attachment 9166
Errm I can't see the RCD side of the board or the test buttons 😂😂😂😂

Only joking the other Chaps man is a Muppet spark must have been Muppets no to see the installation was a rcbo board fully up to regs glad you told them what for though

Last edited by a moderator:
probably fresh out of his 5 week training where they only used dual split and never got shown an RCBO
nbah

he seen an RCBO, its what you put on the switch side of a 'high integrity' board, but you still need 2 RCDs as well,,,,,,,,,,,

btw, WTGrape is a 'high integrity' board....?

another made up name,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

is it irony, or sarcasm,?

or simply taking the piss,,,,,,,,,

I think Deke,,,,,,,,,
I wasn't too sure  TBH     Stepps  .  I mean its usually taking the  piss  ;)  which is fine ...   but has advanced to irony & sarcasm   which totally threw me .   

Thing is ..without my specs on ... that looks like an ordinary MCB board   :coat

btw, WTGrape is a 'high integrity' board....?
That one crept up on us a few years ago  ...I had to phone the wholesaler to find out where the hell that title came from   :C

I wasn't too sure  TBH     Stepps  .  I mean its usually taking the  piss  ;)  which is fine ...   but has advanced to irony & sarcasm   which totally threw me .   

Thing is ..without my specs on ... that looks like an ordinary MCB board   :coat
thing is with these 5ww installers,

probably never seen a proper DP RCBO before, never mind one without fly-leads