Seeking advice yet again !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave up on Opera. Up to about version 12 it was good, but that is way way out of date now. After that they changed to a different engine and ruined it. I forget the last version I tried but it was full of bugs and kept crashing.

Firefox works for just about everything but is slow. It is my "when all else fails" browser.

My normal browser is now Pale Moon. Although it is based on the firefox engine, it is much faster than native firefox for some reason.

Hi ProDave, the question was really so I can help address the problem that Evans Electric was having. But thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to assume that you are using Chrome

What has happened is that your profile has become corrupt or lost.

Note: Before trying this solution for chrome your preferences cannot be read, take a complete backup of your all Chrome data including the bookmark, history and all.

What you need to do is re-create Chrome profile folder.

In order to do this you need to be able to view hidden files: -

• Go to Control Panel > Folder Options & click the “View” tab.
  • Tap on Show hidden files, folders, and drives and then Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files. Then click on ok.
Now to fix the profile: -

• Close Google Chrome.
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<Your_Username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data
  • Rename the “User Data” folder to “User Data.OLD”.
  • Restart your chrome.
  • Restore your backup of bookmarks etc

I really suggest you install two recommended extensions to chrome: -

LastPass

Xmarks

I gave up on Opera. Up to about version 12 it was good, but that is way way out of date now. After that they changed to a different engine and ruined it. I forget the last version I tried but it was full of bugs and kept crashing.

Firefox works for just about everything but is slow. It is my "when all else fails" browser.

My normal browser is now Pale Moon. Although it is based on the firefox engine, it is much faster than native firefox for some reason.

Firefox is fine speedwise

I'd think its your OS that is dragging the speed down

Thanks Calltronics  I'll try what you say tomorrow .   Bit late now to get involved .  Not sure I know how to backup  what you've said TBH . 

Browser is Opera   , I dumped Firefox because it was crashing all the time  .   Opera  is fast  on here , plus BT have done something to the speed so theres no problem with speed  .

Stuff like my Youtube account won't open  at all  ... Youtube is run by Google I believe .     I get conflicting suggestions like  disable all cookies  or enable them  ...I can't even find cookies to do anything with them .   

Which ever browser yuou use the problem is the same.

You need to reset your profile which has either become locked or corrupt.

Calltronic    I'll be following your advice sooner rather than later  ...I have stuff to do on here at the moment and am scared of losing everything  when I start my amaturist fumblings.   

I am going to assume that you are using Chrome

What has happened is that your profile has become corrupt or lost.

Note: Before trying this solution for chrome your preferences cannot be read, take a complete backup of your all Chrome data including the bookmark, history and all.

What you need to do is re-create Chrome profile folder.

In order to do this you need to be able to view hidden files: -

• Go to Control Panel > Folder Options & click the “View” tab.
  • Tap on Show hidden files, folders, and drives and then Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files. Then click on ok.
Now to fix the profile: -

• Close Google Chrome.
  • Navigate to C:\Users\<Your_Username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data
  • Rename the “User Data” folder to “User Data.OLD”.
  • Restart your chrome.
  • Restore your backup of bookmarks etc

I really suggest you install two recommended extensions to chrome: -

LastPass

Xmarks
I'm holding back on this because of these reasons .

You say Chrome but my browser is Opera . 

"Take a complete backup of Chrome data "          I actually don't know how to do that . 

When you say  " Close Google Chrome "  its not open . 

I see  "Bookmark"  on there  but have no idea what its for .   

I know that stuff on Youtube won't work  and that Youtube is a Google product . 

To confirm your thoughts ...yes I'm an idiot . 

Last edited by a moderator: