Electrical Testing - Price Work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorge Milton

Reaction score
Hello. My name is George 
I have been doing some dead testing price work for £50 board 7 circuits. 
Testing end of line lighting. (2 lightnings) 1 supply fire alarm 
3 rings 
Hob 
6 boards about 8 hours. 

Live testing £40 
Every time to test go to busbar 1 level above, place the fuse they only have one. 
Connecting meter tails. 
Functional test. 
Zs only a general ring, because parallel paths. Give me very low r2 readings. 
6 boards, 6 hours 

Do you consider these prices cheap? 

Now they want to give me days work. 7:30 to 4pm. £200 pounds to test the landlors installation. 

Any comment would be appreciated. 

Thanks

I am not registered with any electrical body.

I thought the person who sign the work (niceic, Napit or other), will be responsible for the electrical installation. 

How much you think will be a fair price work?

Thanks

Do not know what you meant. "Naive"

It is the first time doing price work. 2 years experience testing. 1 year testing substations at Spain.

I am not registered with any electrical body. So that means I not responsible for the electrical installation.

I am doing every live test and dead test by electrical uk regulations. Studied here in UK.

Thanks.

No, you are responsible for testing that’s what you’re doing so your name will be associated to the cert somewhere.

the registered body you speak of are not responsible for anything other than to say you are a registered entity. 

The prices you are offered are rubbish and you are working for a fly by the seat of your pants company. The testing you are doing if not fully compliant to the requirements of bs7671 are meaningless. Should you miss a fault through non compliant testing then be it on your head, the company will hang you out to dry. 

Well. Which prices will be accordingly to the job I am doing.

I dead tested every circuit. Find some faults. Told the electrician to rectify.

Lights and fire alarm are connected. Tested live conductors to earth for insulation resistance, 250 volts. 

After live tested. No problem founded. 

I am on level 8 from 27 floor building, 8 apartments per floor. 2 and 1 bed apartment.

After that going to another place.

For that reason I would like to know how much should I charged them from the job I am doing.

Thanks for the replies.

Do not know what you meant. "Naive"

It is the first time doing price work. 2 years experience testing. 1 year testing substations at Spain.

I am not registered with any electrical body. So that means I not responsible for the electrical installation.

I am doing every live test and dead test by electrical uk regulations. Studied here in UK.

Thanks.

Hum ..........Not sure I agree with you  ..... I think you may find things "change" if the brown stuff hit the fan

What insurances do you have?

Since, two years ago, electrical installations are installed for no qualified people. Seem at many places, at Kensington 100 no qualified electricians most of them do not speak English.

Holborn a gang of electricians, the supervisor told the orders to them.

Many big electric firms are aware of that. But no one cares.

My question was how much charged them for a 7 board live and dead test.

Like I said I am gold jib electrician with testing qualifications and two year experience. 

But, I do not know how price my work. Never done it. I am doing only testing job since one year ago.

Thanks.

Since, two years ago, electrical installations are installed for no qualified people. Seem at many places, at Kensington 100 no qualified electricians most of them do not speak English.

Holborn a gang of electricians, the supervisor told the orders to them.

Many big electric firms are aware of that. But no one cares.

My question was how much charged them for a 7 board live and dead test.

Like I said I am gold jib electrician with testing qualifications and two year experience. 

But, I do not know how price my work. Never done it. I am doing only testing job since one year ago.

Thanks.

What do you think is a reasonable rate given you are talking about Central London .................?

Charge what you feel is right for the standard of work you're offering. 

If you've been doing this for a year already, surely you know what you have to be charging to stay in business. 

I have been doing some dead testing price work for £50 board 7 circuits. 
Testing end of line lighting. (2 lightnings) 1 supply fire alarm 
3 rings 
Hob 
6 boards about 8 hours. £300 per day why would you work for £200 per day

Live testing £40 
Every time to test go to busbar 1 level above, place the fuse they only have one. 
Connecting meter tails. 
Functional test. 
Zs only a general ring, because parallel paths. Give me very low r2 readings. 
6 boards, 6 hours £240  per day why would you work for £200 per day (1hour per board why don't you get more done? in an 8 hour day)  
or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
First time doing price work.

I was working for agencies £23 hour. 10 hours day.

How much you would charge for a 6 circuits board?

Live testing is a bit complicated.

They have a busbar which supply three floors.

They have only one fuse. So when I finished testing one flat, I need to go downstairs or upstairs to remove the fuse and test the next flat.

I am on price work and day work.

Dead testing the flats. Price work. £300. (6 flats)

Live testing, £240 (6 flats) connecting the meter tails. Price work. 

Dead and probably live testing the supply from the busbar to the flats. Day work. £210 Day. Tomorrow, retest the faulty circuits.

Thanks.

They have only one fuse. So when I finished testing one flat, I need to go downstairs or upstairs to remove the fuse and test the next flat.

:slap

what happens when people move in? is it a bit like car sharing where they have to book the fuse for a few hours. what happens if 2 or more want it? first come first served? will it need a time limit to keep some order?

Yes. Rubbish.

They do not want to get people electrocuted if I left the fuse on the busbar. That is way they only supply one for now.

23 fuses to come when the place are safe to power on.

So, how much is the looking answer. Is like an unsolved enigma.

Or that game on construction sites.

When I meet a college from the same agency. I am told them how much I am getting and they repply to me " I do not discuss money". Poor souls.