CCFL, neon or something else?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clueless-noob

Reaction score
Hello community, I’m not an electrician and I’ve no one else to turn to so I’m hoping the mighty power of the internet can lend a hand. 

Can anybody out there identify this bulb? 

It’s approximately 60cm long is very bright but doesn’t get hot. Could it be a type of neon? Or maybe a CCFL, although I’ve never come across one like this before?

135B785D-FAE4-4E0C-BBE2-91ADE7A0EA17_zpsex21mwy0.jpeg.49bc457945a4e21ce72a764292ed6ba7.jpeg

I’m not sure but it was used to make a ‘neon lightsaber’ prop ...although how accurate calling it a “neon” is I’m not too sure. There’s doesn’t seem to be an electrode on the ends which makes me think it has to be something else 

looks like a PL type lamp,  which is flourescent technology, although I have never seen one that size and shape

Ahh ok, that’s interesting. I don’t know anything about PL type lamps - I’ll have to do some research 

Only a guess. Cold cathode?

My guess at first was a cold cathode, admittedly I don’t know much about them but I’ve never seen any like this one - The ones I’ve seen are for in computer housings and for under cars. They have a wire running on the outside connecting both ends where as the one in the picture is a “U” shape (of sorts)

There does not appear to be a phosphor coating so fluorescent is out unless the phosphor is very worn.

I cannot tell if there is a wire inside the tube, in which case it could be an incandescent.

Without a wire or phosphor coating it would have to be a neon or discharge lamp, but then that comes back to was there any control gear with it, the type of which would be a dead giveaway.

What voltage does it operate from, and is there/was there associated control gear?  My first guess was that it was from a photocopier but that is just a guess.

It connects to a transformer (unfortunately i don’t have with me to see the details of) which then plus into the wall socket. 

It did light up green, not sure if that’s any help. 

There does not appear to be a phosphor coating so fluorescent is out unless the phosphor is very worn.

I cannot tell if there is a wire inside the tube, in which case it could be an incandescent.

Without a wire or phosphor coating it would have to be a neon or discharge lamp, but then that comes back to was there any control gear with it, the type of which would be a dead giveaway.

I honestly don’t know about a/ the control gear (which is probably really not helping things). It used to light up green and didn’t used to heat up so It’s sounding more and more like a neon tube i think, but i was under the impression that a neon would need an electrode on each end to work? 

And all the CCFL tubes I’ve seen on google tend to not be “U” shapes. 

Never seen anything like it either ,  if its green then I'm thinking neon .    Just enlarged the photo , can't see an element .

I think Geoff is close with the photocopier theory.  

There is something similar in Heidelberg  printing presses  only much bigger and costing  the equivalent of various human  limbs  .

If it's neon then the transformer will often be made from a heavy ceramic/porcelain material because of the very high voltages involved, I'd also expect the wires at the end of the tube to be heavily insulated. With neon, there would also most likely be stickers all over it warning you about the high liklihood of death if you touch anything and I also doubt it would be sold with a standard plug on it if it were neon. It looks like a quartz tube to me so my first guess would be an OEM sterilizer lamp or sunbed in which case it will be UV-C which is also dangerous, if it is UV then a lamp that size will cause permanent damage to your eyes in a short space of time.