DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Evans Electric

Brexit and the declared voltage

Evans Electric

Once out of the EU  can we return to 240 Volts  ?   

Was it to ensure that all EU appliances were designed to that criteria  ?    I don't remember TBH. 

And looking back  , what a travesty it was to change our wiring colours   , we'll be blessed with the two systems  for the next 100 years. 

Sharpend

Another episode of smoke and mirrors! 

binky

never not seen 240V and mostly 245V around here !

Tony S

If you look here I’ve listed the transformers currently fitted by UKPN. You won’t find 230V anywhere in the list.

The bit that really annoys me is that electrical calculations are bases on a fictitious value.

https://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/knowledgebase/transformers/configuration/ukpn-standard-transformers-r79/

Evans Electric

Average  245V   ...248V    ... here.

Andy™

rarely see anything less than 235. usually 240-250. it was all just another useless paper exercise, oh look, we have changed our voltage to match europe, but also extended the tolerance so we dont actually have to do anything

maybe we should start basing our calculations on the actual voltage? and before someone says what if they lower the voltage, what happens if you plan at 230v then it drops to 216? or maybe amd1 is going to fix this issue and base Zs on 216v?

binky

I did once come across 230V on a brand new industrial estate, I was so surprised I checked it twice with 2 different test instruments.

Ardet R
7 hours ago, Andy™ said:

rarely see anything less than 235. usually 240-250. it was all just another useless paper exercise, oh look, we have changed our voltage to match europe, but also extended the tolerance so we dont actually have to do anything

maybe we should start basing our calculations on the actual voltage? and before someone says what if they lower the voltage, what happens if you plan at 230v then it drops to 216? or maybe amd1 is going to fix this issue and base Zs on 216v?

Adjusting to 216V, isn't that what Cmin is doing already!!