Calculator confusion

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastbruch

Reaction score
Morning fellas.

I just wondered whether or not anyone could point me in the correct direction on when calculating capacitive reactance which buttons to press on the calculator, I’ve found the Pi button and used the 10 to negative etc etc but for the life of me the answers are no way correct coming out. 

Thanks.

Apologies.

C=0.05 uf.          f=100khz

I just can seem to find how to put the power 10 negative in my casio 85gt plus calculator.

The answer is apparently 32 ohms but for the last 4 hrs I’ve had no luck coming to that answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sequential operations to carry out

"0.05"

"x"

"6"

"±"

"10^x"

"x"

"100000"

"x"

"π"

"x"

"2"

"="

"M+"

"1"

"/"

"MR"

"="

I think I must be going nuts I still can’t find the power of 10 negative on my calculator tried everything from YouTube, all sorts, I thought I’d done it but hadn’t.

My old calculator had an E and the one before had a EXP where you’d press that an automatically the 10- would come up but this is really stating to get my nerves big time.

ive tried everway possible to stick 10 to negative 6 in my calculator by punishing in the sum above and not got anywhere near 31.83.

so it’s defianlty 1 divided 2 to start with. I’m getting the answer 7.85 every time 

The lot below the divide line you can either work out separately then hit the 1/x button or do the bottom line within brackets after hitting 1 / buttons. 

Have you not followed Ardet’s post? 

The lot below the divide line you can either work out separately then hit the 1/x button or do the bottom line within brackets after hitting 1 / buttons. 

Have you not followed Ardet’s post? 

Unfortunately I couldn’t make head or tail of of Ardets numbers mate TBH I slung them in the calculator and all sorts were coming through.

The funny thing is when I’m calculating resistivity using the 10 to negative it works fine and the answer I want comes in.

Got a feeling this calculator won’t be working in a short while.

Don't know if this little snippet from the instructions is of any help to you.

If not you could always convert to farads yourself as in the example. Hope you get it sorted

instructions.jpg

calc.jpg

Enter the following:

0.05 multiplied 

Then type (6 then hit the plus/minus key)

then hit 10 to power of button,

what do you get? 

It comes up syntax error, what makes it 100 times worse is I was doing it all the while when I first got the calculator and for the life of me not sure where I’ve gone wrong.

type  0.05

Press the shift button, then press log, 

That will give you the 10 to the power of x. x will be in the display as blank. So type in - 6

Also, you've got it set to math mode haven't you. Should say in the top right corner. 

type  0.05

Press the shift button, then press log, 

That will give you the 10 to the power of x. x will be in the display as blank. So type in - 6

Also, you've got it set to math mode haven't you. Should say in the top right corner. 
At the very top I have a little m then in the middle a little square then the top right a triangle