What tools for second fix??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yeah yeah,  I know it sounds dumb...

Just taken on some agency work doing second fix on a large commercial / residential  site and I have been told that I'm doing second fix, of what and where I do not know!

The trouble is that the location has no parking and pubic transport is useless so I was intending on cycling as its 15 mins door to door so I need what I can carry on my back.

Do I go full hernia or just go in with side cutters and drivers?

TIA 

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
hammer & chisel to remove the plaster from boxes after mud slingers have been

apart form that, usual cutters, drivers etc

Figured that would be an issue! :lol:

Well regarded contractor, though mud slingers are mud slingers.

Hammer will also come in handy for locating cables!

Cheers Andy, got a spare £60? 

Plenty of earth sleeving, longer screws ................

Been there, not supplying my own screws, plugs, gromets and sleeve this time round! ;)

And we all know there'll be half a dozen things you didn't bring .  

Yeah been here too but unless I can relocate my shed outside the site that's one thing I can guarantee is gonna happen! 

Get a rack and panniers for the bike.

And a bloody good lock.

The idea crossed my mind but am a bit strapped until I get payed, but do have two locks one of them is made of kryptonite apparently! 

Cheers guys! 

:Salute

Standard hand tools, impact or screw gun, possibly a selection of spanners 10,13,17mm,

small hack saw, tape measure, pens. 

All will fit in a back pack, I have to park away from site and just carry a tote bag, similar scenario. 

Cheers sharpie.

There is no parking for miles, I could rent a drive for £50/week but would still be a 20 min walk!

Hoping the bare minimum will do:

Cutters

Combi pliers

Drivers

Mini socket set

Knife 

Hammer

Chisel

Hacksaw

Measure

Level

Nut courgetteers

Adj spanner

10.8v combi +spare batteries 

Leatherman 

T-1000

Forgotten anything??? 

Probably! 

:slap

Forgotten anything??? 

Thread cutter, for those knackerd back box lugs. A few Wago's to make a temp joint to bell a cable out in case you need to identity which is which in a multi gang light switch, with 10 unmarked T&E's stuffed in it.

Doc H. 

Hard hat, vis and boots- for work

cycle hat, vis and shoes-for getting there and back.

Packed lunch and thermal cup for that mid morning coffee. 

Notepad and pen.- needs for doing the puzzles in the site paper. 

Puncture repair kit-cos you never know. 

Your name on all tools and belongings- feel free to label your coat if you like. 

Crumbs it’s like sending the boy to school on his first day!!! 

M3.5/4 rethreaders

spare hacksaw blades 

snips with a cutter that shears M3.5/4s

a few HSS bits

stepped cone cutter

ARMEG M20-25 holesaw

Croc clips for T 1000 and spare battery

head torch and batteries

in MY case 2 pairs of reading glasses

piece of metal,coat hanger ....I have TWO full Super Rod mega sets and STILL use a wire coat hanger occasionally

Last edited by a moderator:
No parking Eh!    How about a train of donkeys to carry all this stuff ?   You could park them outside ........as far as I know  they can't stick a parking ticket on a donkey  'cos he won't have a number plate . 

No parking Eh!    How about a train of donkeys to carry all this stuff ?   You could park them outside ........as far as I know  they can't stick a parking ticket on a donkey  'cos he won't have a number plate . 
Ah well, that's where you are slightly incorrect(ish)

beach Donkeys have to have an MOT from Mr Chinnery the Vetenarian every year. They then have a ID number branded onto a hoof which grows out after about 12 months. BUT it may be the same number on each donkey i.e. The YEAR number so this may not help