Three-Phase

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastbruch

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone ever struggled to get their nut around 3 Phase and how it all works because I seem to be.

Is there anything I am missing or why I cant seem to get on board. Just watched the mighty motor with Dave Austin which I am sure is brilliant if you knew what he was talking about but must admit I'll be first at the front of the queue to admit I haven't got a clue.

Ok start from the beginning, what is it that you don't understand about it?

How it works mate. I understand its more efficient, and delivers more power but the fundamentals I'm lacking on.

I know when exams come up I don't want to just know the answers I want to fully understand why.

I suppose just keep revising it and hopefully it will sink in. 

Have a search through the knowledge base section I’m pretty sure our TonyS has put a thing or two in there. Just saves us repeat writing, then if you have any query we can advance your understanding. 

Thank you gentlemen.

@ Tony I sort of think I know how a single phase work but probably less clued up on that as I think TBF.

Right 'now found some more literature online so I will get my nut down on this for the next 3 hrs then report back what I learned, but don't be surprised if its F.A

I've always thought 3P easier to understand.

Think of a motor looking on end. You've the rotor in the centre. That oddly enough rotates. The stator is the bit round the outside and that "stays" where it is.

With a 3P motor you've 3 sets of windings.

To understand the emf I like to think of each winding as a a solenoid spaced 120deg apart as they activate one after the other they give the rotor a little nudge round.

I would say I revised 3 phase yesterday for a good 4 hrs yesterday learned a bit.

Take a break from that today I think and carry on getting used to working out cable calculations and finding my way through the OSG

I am sure they make that book hard to follow for a reason as nothing seem to come after the other, not sure why theres a line underneath my writing neither 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always thought 3P easier to understand.

Think of a motor looking on end. You've the rotor in the centre. That oddly enough rotates. The stator is the bit round the outside and that "stays" where it is.

With a 3P motor you've 3 sets of windings.

To understand the emf I like to think of each winding as a a solenoid spaced 120deg apart as they activate one after the other they give the rotor a little nudge round.

Now that is covered in squirrel cage motors in Knowledgebase.