Dimplex CXL24 series C - no reset switch inside?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNH

Reaction score
So having trawled the site about the reset switch it would appear I have no reset switch! Or at least I have a different part inside to this https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_itemId=140911549522&_nkw=Dimplex+XT9605+Thermostat+Cutout+to+fit+XL18+24+CXL+18+24+Storage+Heaters&_trksid=p2047675.m4099.l9146

Mine appears to be missing the brown insulator bit with blue/white switch?

Is it possible I have such an old CXL24 that it does not have a reset? Surely there must be an over temperature safety device somewhere?

I have no Econ7 heating but have checked for power inside which there is. My next thought was the reset but where might it be?

Thanks in advance!

Assuming I manage to find 'lead' link & it has failed, can I easily retrofit with the newer resettable version?

Any idea where the 'lead' link may be hiding?

Thanks for your speedy responses Andy.

The problematic heater is actually in a property that I let out so will need to pop over to check out.

Are the lead links readily available still & any idea what I search for on eBay or elsewhere?

Thanks Dave.

More internet digging and I have found what I have inside my NSH - this:- http://www.electricairespares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=504

A 'Unidare Storage Heater Thermostat 90383 or 90383A' apparently.

Is the tiny white ceramic button in middle of the black disc thingy the actual reset? When I pushed it did not appear to move?

As I said before I will need to go back to the property to do another check/test at some point in next day or so.

If it did not click and reset, then either it has broken, or it has not in fact tripped and you have some other fault.

What are the symptoms? and do you have any test equipment?

Symptoms are no heat at all on the off peak (Economy 7) side - not charging up.

There is power to the control panel (having checked with mains tester late one night!) but I have yet to meter through for circuit continuity as had hoped just reset button was the problem but as per original post I had difficulty in finding!

The NSH had been working fine until a couple of weeks ago & has not had any damp clothes hung over that would be the normal reason to trip it. I know this to be the case as currently the property is empty of tenants.

Am I right that the reset button is where I stated in my last post?

Suspect will be the 90383 thermostat part as unlikely that all the elements have popped?

Any other thoughts?

Unlikely to be heating elements as it has 4 of them, I assume it was hot all over not just at one end?

So it's the thermostat or don't rule out the switch on the wall as the culprit.

Was hot all over when working so as you say not the elements.

Can’t be switch on wall as mains tester indicated power at control panel - or can it??!

Will meter it out & report back

Well, did not expect what I found upon visiting property with offending NSH today - it’s only working!

Can only think either I did manage a reset or there was dust under contacts?? I had to hoover out dust as clearly had not been opened in years.

Time will tell if it is fixed permanently.

Thanks for advice/help to date Andy/Dave