Quick question.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastbruch

Reaction score
Morning Fellas.

Excuse my ignorance but something I was thinking last night.  I believe I am lacking in the basic fundamentals.

Lets suppose you wanted to put an outside light up, or security camera, or anything along those lines. How would that actually be achieved when finding a power source because the nearest link would be the light switch but without a neutral how would this be possible?

Cheers

Morning Fellas.

Excuse my ignorance but something I was thinking last night.  I believe I am lacking in the basic fundamentals.

Lets suppose you wanted to put an outside light up, or security camera, or anything along those lines. How would that actually be achieved when finding a power source because the nearest link would be the light switch but without a neutral how would this be possible?

Cheers

The nearest source would not be the light switch if it has  no neutral. You need the nearest source with a permanent live supply, a neutral, an earth and a suitable route which to run your new cable. The nearest accessory very often will not satisfy all of the above. 

Doc H.  

Basically you just need to evaluate the simplest and most cost effective solution. It is a question that could have half a dozen or more possible answers that all comply with BS7671. Whichever method you chose, you need to make sure all cables are suitable for the load they are going to carry, And they have appropriate overload and shock protection, And any joints are in suitable enclosures with either maintenance free or accessible connections dependant upon their location. It may be more cost effective to run a longer cable to an easily accessible point rather than trying to find an unknown inaccessible point that is very close but a pain in the rear to find. BS7671 is actually very flexible in many applications  and as the saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat! Don't start thinking that wiring regs only allow one correct solution!.

Doc H.

Basically you just need to evaluate the simplest and most cost effective solution. It is a question that could have half a dozen or more possible answers that all comply with BS7671. Whichever method you chose, you need to make sure all cables are suitable for the load they are going to carry, And they have appropriate overload and shock protection, And any joints are in suitable enclosures with either maintenance free or accessible connections dependant upon their location. It may be more cost effective to run a longer cable to an easily accessible point rather than trying to find an unknown inaccessible point that is very close but a pain in the rear to find. BS7671 is actually very flexible in many applications  and as the saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat! Don't start thinking that wiring regs only allow one correct solution!.

Doc H.

Cheers Doc