Autonomous killer car:

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was only a matter of time. When will we learn? 

I don't understand the point of driverless cars, doesn't it just mean we'll have queues of driverless cars with one passenger?

and how much more frustrating, who do we shout at for cutting up the traffic?

Last edited by a moderator:
I visualise the Amazon delivery van  being loaded with parcels ,     the van reads all the bar codes , sorts itself out the best route  , stops at the delivery drop and blows it's horn until  you insert a card and your parcel  is propelled out  of the back .............  then as you are picking it up  the van decides to reverse  over you .   :facepalm:

The van now thinks its running late so   it speeds up for the next drop but as it passes a school  a load of kids run out  at the last second and it mows them all down  .

I think the whole idea is mad ....  we can't drive round safely WITH  humans  driving the damn things   

This is the Fruit of the Minds of yesteryear, remember all the sci-fi you watched as a kid, well it's here? So it's only a matter of time before we get the good versus evil scenario, we have it in all other forms so what stopping it in this?

You mean like the Star Trek  crew who all  carried a small personal communicator  that you flipped open and talked to everyone  ?     

Huh !!!   Thats never gonna happen . 

And I suppose you will be suggesting that phone calls will have live video images as well? As if that's going to happen, unless you just happen to have a full BBC camera crew following you around whenever you use a phone box.

Doc H.

What exactly is the problem that Autonomous cars are supposed to be solving?

Doc H.

What exactly is the problem that Autonomous cars are supposed to be solving?

Doc H.

Nothing for us unless we wanted a taxi or something delivered...

The problem is humans cost money and need looking after where as machines don't.

Amazon, uber etc have dominated their markets or at least they are trying to and once they have got rid of humans its profit profit profit and the rise of the machines.

Terminator-2-1200x873.jpg.27d50883fc662ea74f78482c8537212d.jpg

I suspect in this case the woman might be to blaim having stepped out in front of the car? Ultimate aim is cars drive themselves, therefore you don't need a persoannal vehicle as it could shoot off to transport someone else when you don't need it. It also has to be said that to date, the mileage covered by driverless cars is far higher than those been driven by a person, and the accident rate per mile is far lower.

And they’re only as safe as any electronic device is until a glitch/malfunction/breakdown within its systems, even computers that have been around for a good few decades are still unpredictable. That’s without not being able to react to the unexpected. Given that it has all these sensors/detectors it still failed dismally. 

The only positive with these vehicles is it may go some way to stopping people being so materialistic, the amount of people who drive around in a new (borrowed) vehicle as a status symbol yet live in a pig sty defies all logic. 

Last edited by a moderator:
no, people should follow the 'green cross code'. There's only so much technology can do to protect people from themselves.

In my opinion, these systems could work very well if all the traffic on the road  used it, BUT, that's a long way off. I also think some of the benefits could be quite interesting by removing some of the more dangerous drivers eg disabled people, old people, and these cars are certainly safer than young drivers. BUT I have to say I like to drive myself and don't really trust computers to be safe 100% of the time.

Eventually a situation will arise where the software in these cars will have to decide whether it's better to crash the car into a wall/oncoming vehicle or crash into a child that's ran out into the road. 

I don't know enough about the peripherals of the car to tell you that. I presume they use some sort of laser scanning, although that video above looks like they are just using cameras with pattern recognition. 

Could end up in that situation but it wasn't the point I was making. 

i was trying to make the point that the person/people writing the code for these cars will ultimately have the algorithm choose the least destructive path. Which could end up with the car choosing to kill the driver rather and avoid hitting a group of kids that run out into the road. 

Latest posts