DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Mastbruch

Consumer Unit.

Mastbruch

Evening Gentlemen.

Me again apologies for the many questions. 

Something I was meaning to ask my tutor and I am sure I will learn it, the question is ' lets say you now change a consumer unit, I take it the tails coming in will all stay the same but these will be live, so how would this work, obviously you wont change it live so how would this work isolating the supply.

Murdoch

Arrange for the supplier to fit an isolator - this will cost 

Andy™

as above, although sometimes its FOC

Sharpend

And then there's the fairy!

Blue Duck

616b3HDUwqL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Mastbruch

Thanks 

Ahh pretty sure I am with you when you say fairy I think!

Tony S

He’s barely out of nappies and you’re teaching him bad habits!

Andy™

might aswell teach him how its done in the real world otherwise he will walk out of college all qualified then have no idea what to do on his first day since its completely different

Blue Duck

Personally, I wouldn't touch anything that looks like it was made prior to 1980, leave that to the DNO / supply monkeys!

ProDave

If you live in an SSE area, you isolate by turning the isolator built into most of their meters.

But do please ask your tutor and come back and tell us his answer.

Edited by ProDave

Mastbruch

Cheers Lads.

Looks like the next couple of years the learning zone on here will be filled up with my questions, looking through previous posts the learning zone used to be packed wonder why its not so busy now.

kerching
4 minutes ago, Mastbruch said:

, looking through previous posts the learning zone used to be packed wonder why its not so busy now.

Probably because a lot of folk think they know it all !

trust me, they don't!

everyday is a school day

Sharpend
59 minutes ago, Mastbruch said:

Cheers Lads.

Looks like the next couple of years the learning zone on here will be filled up with my questions, looking through previous posts the learning zone used to be packed wonder why its not so busy now.

Simple answer to that, the scams that sell the short courses and produce the next gen wonder electricians, that know nothing about sparking but a lot about internet searching and you tube vids.

Murdoch

Sparking isn't just about connecting a few cables ... You need a reasonable knowledge of different building techniques, plus the ability to work with other trades ...... And often very thick skin

Mastbruch

We'll I certainly I wont be one of them who'll rush off thinking I know it all, I have been in the building trade too long to know what being an electrician is and what obstacles they encounter that no course will teach you.

Sharpend
8 hours ago, Mastbruch said:

We'll I certainly I wont be one of them who'll rush off thinking I know it all, I have been in the building trade too long to know what being an electrician is and what obstacles they encounter that no course will teach you.

If you know how bad it is for us and still want to join us then I’d seek medical help! 

Mastbruch
On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 07:48, Sharpend said:

If you know how bad it is for us and still want to join us then I’d seek medical help! 

Trust me Still not as bad as lumping fireline up 5 flights of unfinished stairwells ducking under scaffold and think your journey home that night is in a wheelchair as you cant feel your back. I think with all trades they'll all have their faults whatever one you pick. 

Badger
On 20/03/2018 at 21:27, Andy™ said:

might aswell teach him how its done in the real world otherwise he will walk out of college all qualified then have no idea what to do on his first day since its completely different

and these should always be to hand :Salute

779601397_veroglove4.3.jpg

Edited by Badger
Spelling mistake

Andy™

and gloves to go over them

Sidney

Did you also order the inner gloves or do you like sweaty hands? Also full face visor, flash overalls and rubber mat?

TBH PPE is a last resort and you should be isolating. If you isolate then there's no need for PPE.

Mastbruch
4 minutes ago, Sidney said:

Did you also order the inner gloves or do you like sweaty hands? Also full face visor, flash overalls and rubber mat?

TBH PPE is a last resort and you should be isolating. If you isolate then there's no need for PPE.

No but very close to treating myself to the insulated wellies though that way if I ever do a runner from a job I can disguise myself as chicken plucker 

misssweden
On 22/03/2018 at 19:19, Sidney said:

Pro tip: if you have a cold whilst working live, remember to lift the visor up before you sneeze... 

// swedy - TEF test dummy since 2012

Sidney
4 minutes ago, misssweden said:

Pro tip: if you have a cold whilst working live, remember to lift the visor up before you sneeze... 

// swedy - TEF test dummy since 2012

I've done that more than once...

misssweden
1 minute ago, Sidney said:

I've done that more than once...

Time to start learning from your mistakes...? :P:D It’s not a pleasant experience.