Consumer Unit.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastbruch

Reaction score
Evening Gentlemen.

Me again apologies for the many questions. 

Something I was meaning to ask my tutor and I am sure I will learn it, the question is ' lets say you now change a consumer unit, I take it the tails coming in will all stay the same but these will be live, so how would this work, obviously you wont change it live so how would this work isolating the supply.

5ab175488518c_616b3HDUwqL._SX324_BO1204203200_.jpg.dfd098beffa394fa2d940ff7cd4485b6.jpg

If you live in an SSE area, you isolate by turning the isolator built into most of their meters.

But do please ask your tutor and come back and tell us his answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Lads.

Looks like the next couple of years the learning zone on here will be filled up with my questions, looking through previous posts the learning zone used to be packed wonder why its not so busy now.

Cheers Lads.

Looks like the next couple of years the learning zone on here will be filled up with my questions, looking through previous posts the learning zone used to be packed wonder why its not so busy now.

Simple answer to that, the scams that sell the short courses and produce the next gen wonder electricians, that know nothing about sparking but a lot about internet searching and you tube vids.

Sparking isn't just about connecting a few cables ... You need a reasonable knowledge of different building techniques, plus the ability to work with other trades ...... And often very thick skin

We'll I certainly I wont be one of them who'll rush off thinking I know it all, I have been in the building trade too long to know what being an electrician is and what obstacles they encounter that no course will teach you.

We'll I certainly I wont be one of them who'll rush off thinking I know it all, I have been in the building trade too long to know what being an electrician is and what obstacles they encounter that no course will teach you.

If you know how bad it is for us and still want to join us then I’d seek medical help! 

If you know how bad it is for us and still want to join us then I’d seek medical help! 

Trust me Still not as bad as lumping fireline up 5 flights of unfinished stairwells ducking under scaffold and think your journey home that night is in a wheelchair as you cant feel your back. I think with all trades they'll all have their faults whatever one you pick.