BS88-1 Current Characteristics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney

Reaction score
Brain picking time, had a job on today to replace a DB in a street-works cabinet that is fed from a lamp post. The Lucy head has a 16 amp BS88-1 fuse fitted however I'm having a little trouble finding the time/current characteristics for this standard of fuse in BS7671 or on the web so I can do my adiabatic.

Would it be acceptable to use the tables out of the BYB for BS88-2 or BS88-3 or can someone point me in the right direction for the current curves?

This is the offending item, Lawson street lighting fuse apparently.

P1040215.JPG

According to a GEC book I have the LST range is part of the Safeclip family, in the book there is a set of curves for that.

I can scan and upload in the morning if you want?

@Sidney, you're probably better off going to Lawson TBH for the charts.

BS88-1 is just general requirements, was replaced by EN 60269 in 1988, and was then resurrected, and is currently dual numbered EN 60269-1/ BS 88-1:2007+A2:2014, it doesn't contain performance curves.

The actual performance of the link is in accordance with BS7654, I don't have a copy, only view only online access.

The performance curves are not as cut and dried as they are in the model charts in BS7671, they are bands between which the fuse must operate.

Thus, one can either work with worst case, or use OEM data, which may legitimately vary, hence why I am recommending the data from the fuse OEM.

no idea why they are only BS88-1 and not -2, but LST fuses are very common in street lighting. i have looked in the past but didnt find any charts. even the manufacturers catalogues with time current charts only have 88-2 on them

Latest posts