Apprentice interview.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kli1

Reaction score
I have an interview on Monday with BVT Surface Fleet this coming Monday. What kind of questions should I be expecting?

Why do you want to be an electrician?

You will also need to know about the company- do some homework- be able to drop in a couple of points at the interview

Make sure you are 'different' - my friend joined a railway preseration group a month before he applied to be a train driver.

Appear interested. Point out what interests you about electrics.

Do you have a family friend in the trade? Have you any experience with them or on a school placement?

Employers are looking for a good reason you want the job- not ' I think it pays well'

Have you had any other work (outside the trade)? Jobs like a milk round and a paper run show you can get up in the morning.

Sell yourself - have questions for the interview panel.

Ask about the training, how long it will last. Make sure you appear confident, but not assertive.

why do you think you would be good for this job?
What would they ideally be looking for me to say to this?

Things like, I have always been a hands-on type of person, I'm methodical and pay close attention to detail, have always been interested in physics and maths at school?

Why do you want to be an electrician?You will also need to know about the company- do some homework- be able to drop in a couple of points at the interview

Make sure you are 'different' - my friend joined a railway preseration group a month before he applied to be a train driver.

Appear interested. Point out what interests you about electrics.

Do you have a family friend in the trade? Have you any experience with them or on a school placement?

Employers are looking for a good reason you want the job- not ' I think it pays well'

Have you had any other work (outside the trade)? Jobs like a milk round and a paper run show you can get up in the morning.

Sell yourself - have questions for the interview panel.

Ask about the training, how long it will last. Make sure you appear confident, but not assertive.
Again what would the ideal answer to that question be? Pretty much what I said above?

I have looked at their website and made a lot of notes which I will be studying over tonight and tomorrow.

The only thing 'different' that some other applicants may not have done is that I am currently at college doing the pre-apprenticeship course.

I forgot to mention that in this interview I have to talk about a project which I have done.

DSC00372.jpg

^^^ This is one of the projects I did at college.

?:| I have no idea what that means.
Not a good start!! But hope this helps

Its the type of protective devices used on your project. Its the BS number of the fuses in your CU.

3036 - Rewireable

1361 - Cartridge

60898 - MCB (new type)

3871 - MCB (old type)

DO you know these???

?:| I have no idea what that means.
then you might want to research it. its fairly basic stuff

3036 is a re-wireable

1361 is a small fuse, usually upto 45A used in older consumer units

60808 is a MCB, used to be 3871

have a look around and you will find more info, and pics of these etc

and then there is 60947-3 - your typical isolator, older type is 5419, which is probably the BS type for the DB you have in your pic

Not a good start!! But hope this helpsIts the type of protective devices used on your project. Its the BS number of the fuses in your CU.

3036 - Rewireable

1361 - Cartridge

60898 - MCB (new type)

3871 - MCB (old type)

DO you know these???
Are these they numbers you would look up in that catalogue thing? I don't think we even put in any fuses/MCB's as it wasn't tested.

Are these they numbers you would look up in that catalogue thing? I don't think we even put in any fuses/MCB's as it wasn't tested.
they are the BS numbers for what they have to comply with

just because you didnt put and fuses/mcb's in, dont assume they wont ask about it. 1361/3036/60898 are very basic overload protection for domestic, commercial and some industrial. you should know these and how to identify them just aswell as you know what a PME/TNCS, TNS and TT supply is, and what size the earth in a 2.5mm twin is etc

then you might want to research it. its fairly basic stuff3036 is a re-wireable

1361 is a small fuse, usually upto 45A used in older consumer units

60808 is a MCB, used to be 3871

have a look around and you will find more info, and pics of these etc

and then there is 60947-3 - your typical isolator, older type is 5419, which is probably the BS type for the DB you have in your pic
I remember that inside the CU the lights where wired up to far left, then the spur, then the sockets (with the highest load on far right).

Can I ask how you could tell I was using the 3036 or 1361 instead of the 60808? Is it just because it is a old CU I used?

Did you do any testing of the rig you made? if you still have a copy of test cert, could always take that to show you have some idea of testing, and this should also have overload protection type & rating

I remember that inside the CU the lights where wired up to far left, then the spur, then the sockets (with the highest load on far right). Can I ask how you could tell I was using the 3036 or 1361 instead of the 60808? Is it just because it is a old CU I used?
that board only every contained 3036 (older re-wireable) or 1361 (newer type). it will not contain a 60898 - they dont fit with the cover on. you can get retro MCB's that do fit, they were originally made to 3871 but due to size, the fuse cover would have to go (still safe to use though).

generally, the highest rating loads goes closes to main switch, but doesnt have to (mostly good practice to do so)

for those boards, the colour of fuse base/dots on fuse also gave away rating of fuse - either white, yellow, blue, red or green

they are the BS numbers for what they have to comply withjust because you didnt put and fuses/mcb's in, dont assume they wont ask about it. 1361/3036/60898 are very basic overload protection for domestic, commercial and some industrial. you should know these and how to identify them just aswell as you know what a PME/TNCS, TNS and TT supply is, and what size the earth in a 2.5mm twin is etc
"PME/TNCS, TNS and TT supply is, and what size the earth in a 2.5mm twin is etc" I don't know the answers to any of these:_|

HelpPray

For BVT they shouldnt be asking you any questions regarding domestic wiring. Your going to be working on boats.

Look up BVT and BAE and have some info about them, reason why you want to be a spark etc etc.

You will have to do your 17th edition while your in there as you dont get it via your apprenticeship which is for 3 years instead of 4. You also dont do a trade test at the end.

Realistically they should be asking you how long you like hiding in the bogs for and are you willing to listen to 60 year olds mumping their gums about how great the Clyde yards used to be.

As thats the way it is in there.

If you get the choice go to Scotstoun over Govan.

I have an interview on Monday with BVT Surface Fleet this coming Monday. What kind of questions should I be expecting?
How did it go?????