Crackling when plugging my electric fire in

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave ocal

Reaction score
Hi all, 

My first post so please be gentle. Just plugged my Dimplex electric fire in and heard a crackling noise coming from the socket.  I unplugged it then changed the 13amp fuse in the sealed plug, I did notice one of the the copper coloured fuse holders seemed burnt. I plugged it in again and got the same cracking noise and a burning smell.

its a sealed plug so I can’t examine the wires, I took the back off the fire but the cable disappears into the guts of the fire.

So, do I cut the sealed plug of and put a normal plug on it? Or do I persevere and take the fire to bits to follow the cable to see if there is a problem with the wires? Or do I get a spark in to check it out?

thanks.

Hi, the socket is working fine with other items, I’ll trying changing the sealed plug worth a normal one, thank you very much.

The socket may work fine with other items but it could be 'wearing out' and the crackling is only audible when a heavy load such as a heater is connected. I would replace it as a precaution.

Latest posts