Antone know about track days?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have just acquired a bit of a project car from my son. A Toyota MR2 mk2 non turbo. Looking at doing a few jobs and tidying it up and using it at weekends etc for a bit of fun. There is a track on the island and the thought had occurred to me about having a blast around on occasion.

Whats the score about insurance? If someone hits me or vice versa what happens, pretty sure road insurance would not cover track days. 

Another question. Car is a cat D due to the tiniest bit of damage to front nearside wing. Seeing as the insurers have paid out once, if I insure it now and subsequently have to claim, would they pay out or is it now uninsurable fully comp? 

I know there are a few boy racers on here who will be able to help :wink 

I think you will find that NOBODY will insure a car for a track day .......... nor will your roadside recovery collect you from a track.

I was at an event at Silverstone a few weeks back with a mate who races a Caterham - there were people blasting around in "road" cars - they had tape over their number plates!

ah so if I 'break' it I will have to push it a mile down the road before calling them :innocent

done that before whilst off roading. took 3 cars to tow it out of the mud pit it was stuck in and onto the main road to a layby 100mtr down the road. called RAC, bloke arrived, couldnt fix it so wrecker called ( i did tell them when i first phoned that ive already tried, its dead and they might aswell just send recovery instead of someone to try and fix it)

bloke even jokingly commented 'good thing you were not off roading in that site when it broke'

you have no insurance on a track day

the  only insurance   provided by the organisers is 3rd party for spectators

@ProDave

short circuits are notoriously sore on  tyres

its the continual point and squirt, powersliding, heavy braking that does it, she done well to do a whole day on one set

I've seen me going through 2 or 3 sets on a 250 or 400

you have no insurance on a track day

the  only insurance   provided by the organisers is 3rd party for spectators

@ProDave

short circuits are notoriously sore on  tyres

its the continual point and squirt, powersliding, heavy braking that does it, she done well to do a whole day on one set

I've seen me going through 2 or 3 sets on a 250 or 400

Ha! Did a whole season on two sets ;)

Ha! Did a whole season on two sets ;)

bloody 'ell

even if  I didnt mean the Honda C90 class,  :slap

although it is very variable

Aintree is fairly easy, Darley Moor not so much so, and cadwell seemed to change on a daily basis

in general though, I'd say circuits are much harder on tyres than roads

Took it for MOT yesterday and it flew through. Keeping it off road until 1st May then 6 months tax going on and the fun begins. Will keep it garaged for winter months. Took it the back roads way to testing station - pre booked test so quite legal as its now insured but not taxed. Took roof sections off and put it through its paces. I'm going to have some proper fun in this!

20180413_121256.jpg

I knew a bloke once that used to ride a 250 in the TT races etc etc.. He showed me the tyres off his race bike one day.. Jesus tango'd christ.. Until you have seen the state of them you have no idea how insane these racer types are!! The tyres looked like they had been practically melted and then wire brushed.. They should put suspected terrorists on the back of one of these guys and take them for a ride.. It would work much better than anything in guantanamo...

john..