New to the Forum

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter senior

Reaction score
Hi Newbe to the forum I am a Radio Ham so have knolage of electronics and building Radio progects.so looking forward to reading the topics that is posted, Peter

A Radio Ham is a first on here as far as I know  , I don't think we have any ..do we ?  

Welcome anyway .  
Oh yes you do. ME

There has been a lot written about ham radio gear and TNCS. You see a radio transmitter needs a good RF earth, something your mains earth is not. So if you install a good RF earth and connect it to your transmitter, then your  PEN conductor fails, your RF earth might end up feeding half the street.  So there's a good argument for using a TT earth for all your radio gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must have been off sick when that was discussed .   

What do you need the good earth for , the transmitter or the aerial   .     ( Blimey  , just had four attempts at spelling aerial correctly ....must be going  dyspepsical  ) 

The transmitter needs a good RF earth connected. A porential (see what I did there) issue occurs if that transmitter is also connected to a PME earth and a fault occurs on the PEN conductor.

Some will just disconnect the earth in the plug of the transmitter but then that leads to a different problem of different equipment in the same room connected to different earths.  The only safe way to do it is the whole room to be on a TT earth, but then you are into dedicated circuits for that room.

I'll bet there are a LOT of very dangerous installs around.