Installing outside tap

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris8134

Reaction score
Hi

looking at installing an outside tap. I’ve got a drain cock already installed so could I connect that to the outside tap? If so what pipe would I need connecting the drain cock to the copper pipe which connects to the outside tap?

Any help would be great ! 

the drain cock is what the description says, for draining it.

you need to find a cold pipe, fit a T piece then a bit pipe out the wall and top the tap. best fitting an isolation valve inside too so you can turn it off if necessary

Is it a definite no about using the drain cock? I don’t know much about plumbing so id have to get a plumber if I have to install Tee pipe etc 

Right ok. What would happen if I connected a hose to it and put to an ouside tap? Could you recommend a good tap kit? Something that’s got a self cutting tool? I’ve heard some people say the water onky trickles out of them. I want to connect my jet wash to the outside tap 

self cutting ones have a very small hole so you will not be using a jetwash from them

your choice is either bodge it and have a very limited water flow, a water leak from when the drain cock hose leaks / falls off, or get it done properly.

Ok thanks for all your help. How much would a plumber roughly charge? Including all the bits and labour ?

Whatever you do, do NOT buy one of those hideous DIY outside tap kits that comes with a washing machine type hose and a self cutting washing machine tap.

Turn off main stop tap, as high as you can above it, cut it fit a copper (assuming pipes are copper) or plastic (if plastic pipe) push fit tee piece push in a piece of pipe and fit an isolator on the end. Now with isolator off/shut turn on main tap. 

Now or you can fit pipe to outside from the isolator, or if you’re not fussy fit a washing machine tap outlet on end of a small piece of pipe from isolator and use hose with screw connector on end.