DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Chris8134

Installing outside tap

Chris8134

Hi

looking at installing an outside tap. I’ve got a drain cock already installed so could I connect that to the outside tap? If so what pipe would I need connecting the drain cock to the copper pipe which connects to the outside tap?

Any help would be great ! 

Andy™

the drain cock is what the description says, for draining it.

you need to find a cold pipe, fit a T piece then a bit pipe out the wall and top the tap. best fitting an isolation valve inside too so you can turn it off if necessary

Chris8134

Is it a definite no about using the drain cock? I don’t know much about plumbing so id have to get a plumber if I have to install Tee pipe etc 

Andy™

they are not designed for connecting pipes under pressure to them, only a bit of hose to remove the water your draining

Chris8134

Right ok. What would happen if I connected a hose to it and put to an ouside tap? Could you recommend a good tap kit? Something that’s got a self cutting tool? I’ve heard some people say the water onky trickles out of them. I want to connect my jet wash to the outside tap 

Andy™

self cutting ones have a very small hole so you will not be using a jetwash from them

your choice is either bodge it and have a very limited water flow, a water leak from when the drain cock hose leaks / falls off, or get it done properly.

Chris8134

Ok thanks for all your help. How much would a plumber roughly charge? Including all the bits and labour ?

Andy™

no idea. ask your friends & family for any recommendations

Murdoch

Isn't the drain cock for emptying the central heating?

Andy™
2 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

sometimes fitted on the hot & cold if its a decent plumber, but yes, its usually on heating.

i was waiting for tomorrow post of 'ive fitted outside tap but it was hot water and now my heating doesnt work'

Doc Hudson
13 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

I have seen quite a few properties with a drain cock near to the incoming stop tap allowing any residual water in the pipe to be drained.

Doc H.

ProDave

Whatever you do, do NOT buy one of those hideous DIY outside tap kits that comes with a washing machine type hose and a self cutting washing machine tap.

Chris8134

Is the water pressure really that bad ? I’ve never had one so don’t know 

Sharpend

Turn off main stop tap, as high as you can above it, cut it fit a copper (assuming pipes are copper) or plastic (if plastic pipe) push fit tee piece push in a piece of pipe and fit an isolator on the end. Now with isolator off/shut turn on main tap. 

Now or you can fit pipe to outside from the isolator, or if you’re not fussy fit a washing machine tap outlet on end of a small piece of pipe from isolator and use hose with screw connector on end. 

Murdoch
21 minutes ago, Chris8134 said:

A drain cock will have almost no pressure

Andy™
23 minutes ago, Chris8134 said:

4-5mm dia hole in the centre. not going to get much water through that

Sharpend

The pressure remains constant regardless of hole size however the flow rate is variable.