Outside tap kit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris8134

Reaction score
Hi all 

just seen this on eBay for less than £20. Just wondering what the water flow will be like? Flexi pipe in the 10th pic doesn’t look like much water would flow through but thought I’d ask before purchasing. 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-OUTSIDE-OUTDOOR-GARDEN-HOSE-UNION-BIB-TAP-KIT-WALL-BACK-PLATE-CHECK-VALVE/191101005452?hash=item2c7e81ee8c:g:eek:8AAAOSwMmBV0zrV

ive also seen this one but it’s £26 and don’t think there’s much difference. What one would be better? 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Easy-Fit-Outside-Tap-Kit-With-Mounting-Flange-900mm-Flexi-Valve-and-Tee/111299865329?epid=918569282&hash=item19e9fd2af1:g:09QAAOxyUgtTMd8-

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s the concept of what you want, however I suspect you’ll be able to buy the parts for less? 
Yeah the parts separately are probably a bit cheaper. But the top one is only £18.60 so it’s quite convenient for me. Would you say the flexi hose hole is big enough to get a good flow rate of water? 

Those don't appear to have a check valve, (to prevent backflow), which I thought was mandatory with water regs. Taps with a check valve are a bit dearer but at least you know you wont finish up with water from the garden hose coming from the kitchen tap!  Alternatively you can fit a separate check valve.

Those don't appear to have a check valve, (to prevent backflow), which I thought was mandatory with water regs. Taps with a check valve are a bit dearer but at least you know you wont finish up with water from the garden hose coming from the kitchen tap!  Alternatively you can fit a separate check valve.
Yeah it’s mandatory so I’d purchase a double check valve tap just to be safe. Thanks for the help Geoff 

Just out of interest and trying to understand need for check valve, how can water sitting in hose get back into the mains system.

I am guessing mains water is at 3 bar which means that somehow the garden hose would have to be higher than 30 meters to have a head of pressure greater than 3 bar.

What am I missing is it if the mains water ever fails and the water hose is up a bit to overcome a failed mains pressure?

Just out of interest and trying to understand need for check valve, how can water sitting in hose get back into the mains system.

I am guessing mains water is at 3 bar which means that somehow the garden hose would have to be higher than 30 meters to have a head of pressure greater than 3 bar.

What am I missing is it if the mains water ever fails and the water hose is up a bit to overcome a failed mains pressure?

https://www.wras.co.uk/plumbing_professionals/advice_for_plumbing_professionals/installation_faqs/

It’s just when you’re putting the hose back and water can get back into the mains system. That’s why most taps have a check valve installed to prevent this. Never know what sort of contamination you can get from water left in a hose pipe 

The check valve stops a hose dangling in bath water etc. acting as a siphon in the event of a water supply pressure drop. OK a lot of things have to go wrong at the same time but I’d rather not make tea with someone else’s bath water.

Good link @Sharpend so by reading it, it looks like as suspected there has to a dramatic loss of supply pressure or even a vacuum at supply due to maintenance in order for back flow to occur.

There must be thousands of hoses connected without check valves, including my own, but I guess you just never know when the mains water is going to go into vacuum and suck all the water out of your garden hose :)  mmmmmm.

It's not that difficult to have a contamination problem. If you turn off the water to a building, or the supply fails, then turn on any two taps the lower one will run and draw in air or water from the higher one. If the higher one happens to be a hose with its end in the garden water butt, hot-tub, or whatever, then that water will enter the system.

See 

Good link @Sharpend so by reading it, it looks like as suspected there has to a dramatic loss of supply pressure or even a vacuum at supply due to maintenance in order for back flow to occur.

There must be thousands of hoses connected without check valves, including my own, but I guess you just never know when the mains water is going to go into vacuum and suck all the water out of your garden hose :)  mmmmmm.

See we are not the only ones with mad regulations!