DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Chrisjeff1

Help on getting my foot in the electrical door

Chrisjeff1

Hi My name is Chris and I am 30 years old. If been grafting all my life doing mainly plastering and groundworks I am someone who does not shy away from hard work. I have a positive attitude towards work and life in general and I decided last year to concentrate all my efforts on being a success within the electrical trade as I was sick and tired of wet works. I have just recently completed my NVQ level 2 in ELectrical installation and I'm finding it hard to get on with an electrical firm or contractor. as I have no actual electrical onsite experience I need advice on how I can actually get my foot through the door and get started? Please any advice on how to do this would be much appreciated. Thanks 

Zeespark

Where in the UK are you?

ESC Card?

CSCS Card?

Drivers Licence?

AndyGuinness

Chrisjeff1

From Birmingham. With cscs and driving licence 

Sharpend

Ah well you might just need a Deke!

Chrisjeff1

Deke ? This a genuinely helpful reply or a pisstake ? 

Sharpend

You’d have to ask Deke. :C 

Chrisjeff1

Ok nice one for wasting both our time DekeHead!

Sharpend

I’ll ask him for you @Evans Electric then you’ll see, he may or may not be able to help. 

You can apologise later. 

Chrisjeff1

thought you were taking The mick. I do apologise 😬

Sharpend

No problem. :) 

Chrisjeff1

👍🏻

Evans Electric

No one is taking the pizz  Chris  ...Sharpie mentions me because I'm in Brum  ...we don't take the pizz on here  , just try to help . 

Sharpend

Here’sssss Deke!  

steptoe
6 minutes ago, Sharpend said:

Here’sssss Deke!  

he's like beetlejuice

Chrisjeff1

Ha don't I feel like a twat. 

steptoe
1 minute ago, Chrisjeff1 said:

Ha don't I feel like a twat. 

come sit in twat corner beside me then,  :D

Evans Electric

I don't blame you for changing  trades  Chris  but  I have to say  what you are doing can be very difficult  .   You're off on the right foot  with the NVQ  ,  you'll need more than that I hope you know .

We've had  this question often on here ...its so damn difficult unless you drop lucky .    Youngsters can't get an apprenticeship  for love or money .  

I think ...others may have  more input ....... that your best & possibly only option is to get a start as an "Improver "  .. "Trainee"  or Adult Mate  and start to work your way though the levels  .

You just need to find a firm .  So make yourself known ,  ask at an electrical wholesaler if they'll put your card up ...start emailing  contractors with your details  , you just need to drop lucky  if you don't know anyone in the trade   who needs a willing  hand   but not fully skilled .  

Look up local sparkies , use the  Register of Electricians  /  Competent Persons /  Part P /  NICEIC / ELECSA /  NAPPITT .  / STROMA  members  .

I can't help you myself as I'm  semi retired now , only work two days a week  but If I hear anyone needing an Improver  etc  I'll pass on your details .  

You need a list of the other courses you'll need to take  , the other guys know them better than me .     Don't take the 17th edition  as the 18th  cometh soon.

Do you want to PM me with your details  ?  

Evans Electric

There is another way ,   might be better if someone who's done it  picks it up .

Called the "Short Course  Domestic Installer "  or similar .   Its run at the various colleges  , you'd need to look .  Birmingham Metropolitan James Watt , Great Barr  I think ...Garretts Green ,  Erdington  ...possibly Mathew Boulton .  

Chrisjeff1

Thanks for that I really appreciate it. I'm gonna take that all on board and apply myself. Il send you a message shortly with my details. Thanks guys it's been fun 😅😅 

Sharpend

Chris, can you afford to not have an income? Are you planning on doing this around current job? 

Chrisjeff1

I'm lucky enough I have my ole man to help with work from time to time so at the min I'm quite lucky. I will look at additional courses to help me get on faster. I'm coming up to the end of lvl2 now and I just want to get stuck in to the practical side. I know as an improver and the fact I have no on site expirence it's gonna take time to be at the highest level so Im trying to do what it takes. Like asking questions on electricians forums and showing myself up 😅 

Chrisjeff1

But all joking aside I do appreciate the your replies. I'm gonna take all of what mr Evans has said to Good use thanks. 

Sharpend

Just a thought, you used to work on sites, do you not know may of the Electrical firms that worked the same sites that you could have a word with? 

Chrisjeff1

Yeah there has been but at the time before leaving site I didn't think getting work would of been as hard as what it has been. Il be trying my best from now anyway. 

Doc Hudson
11 hours ago, Chrisjeff1 said:

Yeah there has been but at the time before leaving site I didn't think getting work would of been as hard as what it has been. Il be trying my best from now anyway. 

I would think a significant contributing factor nowadays is the legal red tape and liabilities of having someone either employed or just volunteering working on behalf of a-n-other company. Many smaller businesses simply don't want the hassle. It has no relevance to how good or bad your abilities are, just the gamble of how much someone else is willing to risk on nothing going pear-shaped with big insurance claims. 

Doc H.